Sign in to follow this  

XR200 upgrade questions

I found an old XR250 that is pretty wells scrap. The motor is shot, plastics almost all gone, front wheel missing... it's basically a frame, suspension and rear wheel. Even the headlight is gone 👍

Am I going to be alright running the stock gearing with an 18" wheel? Biggest reason I ask this is because I just ordered new ones that should be here tomorrow. (Any suggestions on a rear tire?)

The front wheel is missing can I use my original front wheel / brake system? I'm thinking of swapping suspensions, after some comparisons. There is way to much conflicting info to just assume I can swap this out at all.

Thanks for the help

WHat are the years of the bikes? Most stuff should swap, brakes for sure, wheel if it uses the same axle and brake setup.

Bigger rear wheel will raise gearing slightly, (taller). Taller seat too.

If the 250 is an 85 almost all chassis stuff will tranfer to the 200 or vice versa.

The rear wheels are the same 17" but the rim width may be different, the rim size and width is stamped on the rim.

the 250 has a front disc brake and bigger forks than the 200. 84 + XR250 wheels bolt on to 84+ XR250 forks.

I came across a guy who has a 91 xr200... the only thing left to it is the shock / forks and maybe some odds and ends for nearly nothing. That is the last year for the longer travel suspension correct?