Sign in to follow this  

Training while ill?

Is it wise to continue training while carrying a chest cold? Does it prolong the time to recovery? What harm can it do. Thanks for advice 👍

Its not a smart idea. I think it predisposes to myocarditis which can only cause death.

Hopefully Drs. Davbrucas or AJ Freeze will step in here, because I am having a "Senior Citizen Moment".

Just remember rest is just as important as training and in some cases more important.

I was just looking this up because I had a cold, it never got bad or fatiguing, it was a tickly cough and head fuzziness(but in other people it developed way nasty). what I googled up was basically for chest cold--dont' exercise, go to bed and rest etc. Head cold(like what I had, with no fever, no aches and no extra weariness), exercise a bit, but back off and do only shortened recovery cardio, and back off on the heavy lifting--lift lighter and simpler. In any case don't do HIIT or put stress on yourself--the wo should just be to grease your wheels so to speak.

I got relief from the cough(it felt like dust caught in my throat) when I was walking, must have been the fresh air maybe.

But when your'e sick "for real" the best thing to do is go to bed and get as much rest as you possibly can, drink fluids, let the fever work for you. You'll get over it faster.

Also when your sick youre not your best to put in a good effort for the more intense stuff that needs 100% to be of benefit--you're only wasting your time in that direction to put in a half-ass effort. Backing off for a week or so is not going to hamper you, and you'll probably benefit more because your muscles will have a chance to fully recover, and you'll actually gain.

(sorry I'm not a doc)

Its not a smart idea. I think it predisposes to myocarditis which can only cause death.

Hopefully Drs. Davbrucas or AJ Freeze will step in here, because I am having a "Senior Citizen Moment".

It has indeed been linked to Myocarditis.

In fact there have been some reports of sudden cardiac death amongst athletes training or competing with prodromal illness, who have subsequently been found to have myocardial inflammation at post motem.

Never mind having a "senior citizen moment" Mark, I'm genuinely impressed that an Orthopod managed to spell "Myocarditis"!

-John

When I was heavily in sports in highschool/college. I would try to be the tough guy and just keep going no matter how sick I was... I finally realized that when you are sick, you NEED rest, hydration, good diet, and less stress.

what about sweating out a hangover? what are the effects of cardio the day after you drank alcohol?

Dr.John, I had to learn all that medical stuff in 2008 in order to take and pass the subspecialty board exam in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. I was suprized that I remembered it from only two years ago. Remember an Orthopod is as strong as an ox and twice as smart!

Please continue looking at this website. I always need help here.

I think that feeling like poop is the only downside of working out with a hangover.

Remember an Orthopod is as strong as an ox and twice as smart!

Hahaha!

Permission to steal that and use it as my own....?

-John

Many thanks to Dr. Mark and everyone else for their input. I must say I had no idea that the consequences could be so serious. I will take it easy for a while until back to full health!