Sign in to follow this  

Help!

Me and my brother have got cr 85's and was at a track today when his bike cut out and the kick start was rock solid, wouldn't move at all. we didn't try too hard, just felt it was stuck solid so left it as didn't want to do any more damage, what i need to know is what excatly could of happend and is it an easy fix? we've been running them with a mix of 32:1 and ive only recently changed the gear oil, no leaks or anything anywhere. how hard is it to strip down the engine take piston out etc? will the piston be stuck in the barrel? also we think his bike is a 2002 but that would make it a cr80? but mine is a 2004 and on the engine it says 82.3cm3 (cant remember excatly, mite be 82.7 or something) but whatever it is his says the same on his engine, so is his bike an 85 the same as mine, therfore newer than we thought or are they the same sort of engine just tweaked abit? just need to know so i get the right piston kit for it, just need abit of advice as weather to try it myself or take it somewhere, im no stranger to tools etc just never stripped a bike engine down before.

thanks for reading i know its abit long!👍

Sounds like the piston might be seized in the cylinder. Can you put it in gear and bump start it or does the rear wheel just lock up? If the rear wheel just locks up, then it's probably seized. Your best bet is to get a manual for your bike to help you understand what's all involved and it will have torque specs you will need for reassembly. 2 stroke top ends aren't that complicated; but, if the crank bearings are locked up, you will have to split the cases which is a little more involved. Get the manual first and read through it to determine if it is something you want to take on yourself.

Did the kickstarter ratchet back into place or is it stuck at a random point?

its either gone back to the top or i think it was stuck at the top from when the bike stopped, it wouldn't move at the first try to kick it back up.