Sign in to follow this  

power Valve Leaking alot of oil HELP?

hey guys i have a 2003 rm 125 my problem- The tube that comes off the top of the power valve pisses out oil over night i get up in the morning and theres oil all over the ground i took the cover off and cleaned it out. also drained my gas tank and put high grade gas and mixed it lean { thats what the dealer told me to do} I dont no what to do i have had a 2001 rm 80 and a 2006 Rm 250 neather of them did this . Anyone no how to fix this problem or should i just not worry about it my other bikes never did this.

are you jetted for the elevation and outside temp? what premix are you running? are riding the bike "on the pipe"? or just lugging it around?

Sounds like your your needle and seat might be bad, letting gas seep into your cylinder overnight. Is the bike hard to start after an overnite sit? After letting it sit overnite pull the pipe off and see if gas has collected in it. A good powervalve cleaning would help.

ya i ride it really hard, in the morning it starts first kick without choke, i also mixed it 40 to 1 to clean it out

i also cleaned the power valve and dident leak that much for like 3 days the started again i rode all day yesterday then washed it put it in the garage and when i went outside thus morning and there was black oil all over the ground from the tube that connects to the pvalve, so i took off the pipe cleaned it out and the bike started first kick with no choke

i also cleaned the power valve and dident leak that much for like 3 days the started again i rode all day yesterday then washed it put it in the garage and when i went outside thus morning and there was black oil all over the ground from the tube that connects to the pvalve, so i took off the pipe cleaned it out and the bike started first kick with no choke

What does your spark plug look like? if its black, you might need to play with the jetting a little bit. my cousin has a 2000 RM125, and it used to leak oil like you mentioned until we leaned the jetting out a touch.

check your crank seal. If thats good then swap tranny oil brands. (Its in the manual)

Never go back to that dealer again!

check your crank seal. If thats good then swap tranny oil brands. (Its in the manual)

Never go back to that dealer again!

Tranny oil? You kidding? thats the dumbest thing ive heard all day.

if your crank seals and case gasket arent leaking, then it will have NO EFFECT on the motor, Including the leaking powervalve.

if the crank seals or case gasket IS leaking, then it wont matter how much you lean the jetting or premix ratio, you will still get oil leaking from the PV.

In EITHER CASE, changing the tranny oil WILL NOT have ANY effect on the powervalve leaking oil........

Tranny oil? You kidding? thats the dumbest thing ive heard all day.

You're from Ohio so I'm sure it isn't.

My bad though. Manual says engine oil not tranny and by engine oil they mean premix. Honest mistake on my part.

TDovRENJTS8xMDBTQU5ZTy82NzZBMDA1NS5.jpg

Sounds like your your needle and seat might be bad, letting gas seep into your cylinder overnight. Is the bike hard to start after an overnite sit? After letting it sit overnite pull the pipe off and see if gas has collected in it. A good powervalve cleaning would help.

I think Your right about Your diagnosis....I think He should turn the whole bike upside down, and take the spark plug out, and turn it over a few times, just to make sure that there is not any raw gas in the bottom end,,,that happened to Me one time before,,,,easy fix, if that's the problem...I hope He let's Us know how It turns out......Dr.D..

Are you leaving the cock pit turned on? Make sure you turn gas off then drain the bowl on the carb after a hard ride. This will tell you if the needle seat is bad. If you do this after a ride and you go out and have no oil then you needle is letting gas bypass. If it still oils...then you have an accumulation during your ride that is seeping out later. Then you need to change brands of premix and lean your bike out it might be running really rich. When is the last time you put a top end in? If you have your pipe off look up the exhaust and make sure you piston is all there on the exhaust side. If isn't burning all the fuel it can push some back in the PV and there would cause another symptom of accumulation.

You're from Ohio so I'm sure it isn't.

My bad though. Manual says engine oil not tranny and by engine oil they mean premix. Honest mistake on my part.

TDovRENJTS8xMDBTQU5ZTy82NzZBMDA1NS5.jpg

Well, at least this "ohioan" is smart enough to know that RM125= 2 stroke.

and as long as he isnt running weedwhacker oil, the oil he is running isnt the problem anyways. pretty much any mainstream 2 cycle oil will be perfectly OK. The problem is most likely the jetting. if he is running 40:1, then it isnt the premix ratio either.

so, How does that spark plug look? wet, black and oily?

how about the silencer? does it leak black "spooge"?

What brand oil are you running anyway?

and he already stated he has a RM250 that doesnt do this. and im gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and say he runs the same premix oil in both bikes.

The RM85 doesnt count here because it doesnt have a powervalve. although if all the bikes are spooging out the tailpipe, he is either not running them hard enough or the oil he is using is junk.

Well, at least this "ohioan" is smart enough to know that RM125= 2 stroke.

and as long as he isnt running weedwhacker oil, the oil he is running isnt the problem anyways. pretty much any mainstream 2 cycle oil will be perfectly OK. The problem is most likely the jetting. if he is running 40:1, then it isnt the premix ratio either.

so, How does that spark plug look? wet, black and oily?

how about the silencer? does it leak black "spooge"?

What brand oil are you running anyway?

and he already stated he has a RM250 that doesnt do this. and im gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and say he runs the same premix oil in both bikes.

The RM85 doesnt count here because it doesnt have a powervalve. although if all the bikes are spooging out the tailpipe, he is either not running them hard enough or the oil he is using is junk.

Well, he said he HAD a 250 not HAS a 250 so maybe he is not running the same premix that he used too when had the 250. What is most important is helping the guy out that actually has the issue and not bickering about who is right and who is wrong.

ya i dont have the 250 anymore and i mixed that 32 to 1 and dident have any problems with it , it dident even smoke that much for a 2 stroke.. i mix this 125 40 to 1 because its running rich .. i use bel ray oil also.. The spark plug is black and it smokes like crazy and i go threw gas quick i think that the previouse owner did some carb work Like a bigger get fro racing thats why im burning gas fast and the air /fuel mixture is messed up or somthing thats why its smokeing alot and running rich.. Its pretty sure its not the gas or mix iv been told bel ray and amsoils are the best so im useung good oils and high grade gas not shitty stuff ..

ya i dont have the 250 anymore and i mixed that 32 to 1 and dident have any problems with it , it dident even smoke that much for a 2 stroke.. i mix this 125 40 to 1 because its running rich .. i use bel ray oil also.. The spark plug is black and it smokes like crazy and i go threw gas quick i think that the previouse owner did some carb work Like a bigger get fro racing thats why im burning gas fast and the air /fuel mixture is messed up or somthing thats why its smokeing alot and running rich.. Its pretty sure its not the gas or mix iv been told bel ray and amsoils are the best so im useung good oils and high grade gas not shitty stuff ..

The best oil for that 125 in my opinion is the Suzuki CCI mixed at the factory spec of 30:1. Its really good stuff.

I've been using the Suzuki CCI 2cycle lubriacant for quite some time on my 125 and it does not burn clean at all. I actually had the same problem (tar coming from the breather hose) when using the CCI. I also had to repack my muffler 3 times last summer. However, it's cheap and seems to lube the piston good.

I've been using the Suzuki CCI 2cycle lubriacant for quite some time on my 125 and it does not burn clean at all. I actually had the same problem (tar coming from the breather hose) when using the CCI. I also had to repack my muffler 3 times last summer. However, it's cheap and seems to lube the piston good.

Really??? The people I know that use it LOVE that stuff. Last time I used it was back in 1989 and I liked it alot. As a matter of fact if I wasn't sponsored by an oil company I would use that stuff again.

Really??? The people I know that use it LOVE that stuff. Last time I used it was back in 1989 and I liked it alot. As a matter of fact if I wasn't sponsored by an oil company I would use that stuff again.

CCI,,,I have been using it since 1978,,and I've had good luck with it,,,My motors last a long time.....Dr.D..