Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 2006 > Compression, values?

Just bought this 2006 bike, seller told me it did 60 hours, it drives well, but would like to do a compression test to check the engine a little more.

How should I do this?

Cold/warm engine?

Full throttle/not at all?

How many kicks?

Did I forget a question?

And not least: what values should I get?

You can't do a compression test on these thumpers because of the automatic decomp on the cam. You have to preform a leak down test.

Just found out that page 47 in the pdf service manual of the 2005-2007 says to do a compression pressure check with a compression gauge.

Udklip.JPG

?

Edited by Blaest

I stand corrected!

If you read that page it tells you every thing you need to know. how to preform the procedure and what the psi limitations are.

Edited by mxn4life

Compression test is not very useful on a 4-stroke MX bike because of the auto decompression lever on the exhaust cam. If you knew what the compression was when the engine was new, you could check if it is lower now. Otherwise a leak down test is the right way to test. You get overall leakage and whether the leak is at the rings, exhaust valves, or intake valves. Always best to do it on a warm engine.

i did both, leak down and compression test. The leak down was hard to do because i had a hard time keeping it at tdc when the cylinder filled with air. The compression test went better, throttle open and kick fast. 61-102psi, if it starts, runs good, and no white smoke you should be ok.