Tall Seat/Low Pegs?

So I finally got to ride the new X. Fun, fun, fun. The JD jet kit had it running perfect (smoother every 10 miles), and no popping with the TM smog block. Thanks for all the input from many on this site to a newbie!

About the only thing I want to change is to buy a tall seat. Anybody making one? A six month old thread seemed to indicate NO, but I'm hoping something has changed.

Or should I go with some lower pegs?

TIA for opinions/recommendations. Four-stroke torque is a blast!

On my KX I sent my seat to Sargent for 2" of their superfoam. On the CRF it took some time but ended up finding a local MC upholstery shop who had similar stiff foam to the Superfoam. He was primarily HD custom seat maker. Only charged me $50 vs nearly $200 by Sargent.

I am fixing (welding and grinding) my IMS low-boys this is the second time for this set of pegs... and this is my second set of IMS pegs. The first set I wore out I just replaced but I started building the pegs back up an then using a die grinder to put the teeth in....I guess 3/4 of a year isnt bad for a set of pegs:banghead:

Edited by kanyonkritter

I am fixing (welding and grinding) my IMS low-boys this is the second time for this set of pegs... and this is my second set of IMS pegs. The first set I wore out I just replaced but I started building the pegs back up an then using a die grinder to put the teeth in....I guess 3/4 of a year isnt bad for a set of pegs:banghead:

Well, not 3/4 year, but 3/4 of a year riding almost daily, right?

Are you guys like 8 ft tall? I am 6'3" and I guess I don't see the point in having a taller seat? I also run less sag than recomended and do better than with 100 mm of sag. Am I just wierd like that??

Yup. Totally friggin' weird.

If you have 52 year old knees, ride lots and lots of whoops and rocks, and need to sit/stand/sit/stand a lot, you appreciate a nice tall seat and bars in about 5 seconds. California High Desert riding is brutal.

Yup. Totally friggin' weird.

If you have 52 year old knees, ride lots and lots of whoops and rocks, and need to sit/stand/sit/stand a lot, you appreciate a nice tall seat and bars in about 5 seconds. California High Desert riding is brutal.

?:lol: Ok I do like my taller bars but I guess I have trained myself never to sit down except on corners or something like that. I also have my bike set up in the air so much that a few of my shorter friends have trouble getting on it ? I do like the Idea of lowering the pegs just a little... Do they seem solidly mounted??

Are you guys like 8 ft tall? I am 6'3" and I guess I don't see the point in having a taller seat? I also run less sag than recomended and do better than with 100 mm of sag. Am I just wierd like that??

I'm 6'3" 200lbs and 36" inseam....stand flat footed, knee's bent with stock seat. Arms are a bit longer still...would love to be able to move the bars forward a couple inches.

?:lol: Ok I do like my taller bars but I guess I have trained myself never to sit down except on corners or something like that. I also have my bike set up in the air so much that a few of my shorter friends have trouble getting on it ? I do like the Idea of lowering the pegs just a little... Do they seem solidly mounted??

The lower pegs don't help much for standing. They mostly help for sitting; keeps your knees a bit less bent.

They are noticeable, and they are robust as hell.

Decided to send the seat base to SDG for a tall seat conversion. At $120, it seemed reasonable, and I'm guessing they will do a better job than I could. I'll post on how it turns out, but I'm on the road for a few weeks, so it will be awhile.

I'm 6'3" 200lbs and 36" inseam....stand flat footed, knee's bent with stock seat. Arms are a bit longer still...would love to be able to move the bars forward a couple inches.

? sounds like my dad he has gorrilla arms lol. I hate the stock bar position for standing. you either have to bend your legs a long ways or hunch over a lot. Taller bars and a bit of a riser makes it easier for me.

? sounds like my dad he has gorrilla arms lol. I hate the stock bar position for standing. you either have to bend your legs a long ways or hunch over a lot. Taller bars and a bit of a riser makes it easier for me.

yeah....kinda freaky long arms. I've installed risers and tall bars. Local AA rider was giving classes/lessons a few years ago. He laughed out loud when I went by him the first time. He said he wouldnt have dreamed he'd ever see the day someone could make a 450X look like a small bike. ?

• 10 months later...

digging up bones...but hey, atleast I used the search button~

anyway, Im 6'2 with a 32-34 inseam.

I notice that I cant grip the bike with my knees..they are above the seat no matter what.

I just got my scotts damper with sub mount, so that will raise the bars, and I ordered the windham bend evos, so bar position should be perfect.

but, what are my options if I want to raise the seat and grip it at knee height?

will the sdg tall gripper work? or the guts route?

I personally don't mind the stock height much and I'm 6'2". I did however change my seat(which is about the same height) and put on Power Pegz in the lower position.(the ones that pivot) They are much easier on older knees,especially in the socal desert whoops like Krannie said.