Sign in to follow this  

1996-1997 CR125 Advice

I just sold my CRF150F, and I am looking to buy a 96-97 CR125. I wondered if anybody had any advice for when I am looking at these years. Is there anything specific I should watch out for on these bikes when I go to look at them? I have never owned a two stroke before (XR70R-XR80R-CRF150F). Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

rear linkage, rear wheel bearings, clutch basket and rear brake master cylinder. *just above the brake pedal.

great years for the CR motor! be ready to drop a bit of $ to rebuild several things, and dont be shocked if you're doing a top and bottom end on the motor.

might also read this post about buying a used bike.

hope it helps!

chris<pixelmonkey>👍

I just sold my CRF150F, and I am looking to buy a 96-97 CR125. I wondered if anybody had any advice for when I am looking at these years. Is there anything specific I should watch out for on these bikes when I go to look at them? I have never owned a two stroke before (XR70R-XR80R-CRF150F). Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

My advice would be to look for a newer one (Anything 2001 or higher). I have a 94 CR125 and it is getting more and more difficult to find parts for it. I am probably going to sell it and get a 2002+ CR250 within the next year. I thought it would be fun to rebuild and older bike but I am tired of trying to find parts for it.

What kind of parts are difficult to find? I checked around, and it looks like you could get about any part for a 96-97 between Service Honda and Rocky Mountain MC. I would buy a newer one, but I am trying to go low budget. I'm about to graduate high school and then go to college, and I don't have much money.

Parts aren't that hard to find for these bikes. I have a 96 CR 250, and have no problems locating anything. You can get OEM and after market stuff from almost anywhere. The only thing that seems to be hard for this generation of bikes is the bling. Not a lot of show parts for these bikes anymore, but you won't have any problems finding things that keep the bike running and in good shape.

Parts aren't that hard to find for these bikes. I have a 96 CR 250, and have no problems locating anything. You can get OEM and after market stuff from almost anywhere. The only thing that seems to be hard for this generation of bikes is the bling. Not a lot of show parts for these bikes anymore, but you won't have any problems finding things that keep the bike running and in good shape.

The 250's are a different animal completely, maybe it is because more people have them or something but parts availability is completely different. I just had to find the bearings to replace for swingarm and linkage on my 125 and it took a lot of research and google searches to find a pivot works one. I finally had to call OEM cycle directly because the shock bearings (upper and lower) were not available on theirs or any one elses website, luckily they had a part number and were able to order it. It took a lot of time to find aftermarket footpegs. Heaven help me if I want a seat cover or seat foam, I have only found one website that offers anything for that (unless you want to pay twice as much for an oem one). Same thing for plastics, I have only found Polisport for it unless you want to once again double the price for OEM stuff. On the other hand, if you go with the AF frame Models, you can find almost anything you want without trouble. As far as price is concerned, in my area the Steel frame 125's will sell for aprox the same price as an AF 125 ($1000 - $1500).

Well, as far as plastics, seats and seat covers, they are the same as the 250, so that shouldn't actually be any more difficult to find than finding something for a 96 250. Motosport.com, Dennis Kirk, and several other sites you will have almost anything you need. If you need OEM, Honda East Toledo is quite possibly the cheapest place I have seen for OEM parts. Ceet racing also carries seats and seat covers for these bikes, I have seen a nice seat cover at N-Style in the 09/10 color..... looks pretty sharp really.

It may take a little more time to get some things because they have to be ordered, but whether it is OEM or after market, you will be ordering the parts anyway.

I think for stepping up to a full size bike, this will be a great move. You probably won't be on a 125 forever, and you will gain valuable riding experience and skills.

i have a 97 cr 125 and its the most durable bike i've owned. I over rev and beat my bikes. All i've had to do was typical maintenance, (oil, bearings, cables, levers)

I'd buy another.