Sign in to follow this  

Muffler design

If I cant find a GSXR muffler by the end of the week I am going to build one my self, Is there anywhere online where i could look at internal views of aftermarket exaust to get an idea of how to do it?

If I cant find a GSXR muffler by the end of the week I am going to build one my self, Is there anywhere online where i could look at internal views of aftermarket exaust to get an idea of how to do it?

Patience young (I'm assuming here) skywalker! There are a number of 600/750 mufflers on ebay right now... and that's after only looking at a couple pages worth of listings. There's even a beat up 01/02 1000 muffler. If you are capable of building your own exhaust system surely your are talented enough to repair an abused warrior to bring it back to it's full awesome glory! 👍

I've thought about making my own muffler as well, just because kinda thing. But I did modify my stock muffler, sounds great and tons of power... and best of all it didn't cost me a penny:banana:

PIC_0937-1.jpg

I've thought about making my own muffler as well, just because kinda thing. But I did modify my stock muffler, sounds great and tons of power... and best of all it didn't cost me a penny:banana:

PIC_0937-1.jpg

did you just cut the middle out, gut the muffler, and weld the cap back on?

Pretty much, I split the two major parts apart, split and gutted the lower section, cut most of the guts out of the upper section, then shortened both segments and welded them back together, its a lot more work than it sound. But it is completely worth it in my books.

after doing some research I think Im going to go with the homemade muffler, the only problem is where to get the material for the core?

i looked real quick around the northeast for gsxr's that had aftermarket pipe, which is how i found two of the "golden" mufflers, there are atleast 10 possible donors on there right now. I dont think you are looking hard enough.

I have found several GSXR mufflers, but none of them priced as low as I would like, plus if I build one and dont like the sound I can always go back and modify it to get the sound that I want

dont get me wrong iam not knocking the build your own idea i think it is awesome. if you do it please post a build thread.

I made an exhaust for my DR250. Used perforated stainless which I got from McMaster-Carr, 3" stainless tubing, and a little help from a tinner who punched out some 3" circles with 1.25" holes in the center for the turned down tip and inlet tube to fit in. I did all the TIG welding.

I made it so it can be rebuilt.

I got pictures of the stuff somewhere.........

I modified a 2000 R1 titanium muffler for use on the DR. I still have to make the mid-pipe, but that should be a relative no-brainer.

Waaaay less work than building a whole muffler.

Also, google "universal fit muffler" -- you'll find a lot of oval, all-stainless mufflers that will work great.