Sign in to follow this  

Bunny Hops

What is the best technique to bunny hop a dirt bike over stuff like branches, ruts, ect.? I've been trying by compressing the suspension by crouching down and then jumping up and giving the bike some gas, but I'm only getting a couple inches or so, and I want to get some more air. Anybody got some pointers or another method?

I don't know for sure but perhaps you could adjust your rebound on your shocks to give you a little more kick.

Go outside and try to bunny hop your bike off the ground. Won't happen unless it's SUPER light and you are really strong.

Properly set up suspension will cancel out your efforts and bring you back where you started. As if you went over a bump.

So, small wheel lifts and getting your weight off the pegs (once halfway over obstacle) will aid in going over logs and whatnot. But never try to physically lift your bike, you'll just get tired. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

What is the best technique to bunny hop a dirt bike over stuff like branches, ruts, ect.? I've been trying by compressing the suspension by crouching down and then jumping up and giving the bike some gas, but I'm only getting a couple inches or so, and I want to get some more air. Anybody got some pointers or another method?

Bunny Hop? That's for bicycles! Just pop a wheelie while standing and power over it. The suspension and your legs will soak up the hit.

you're hard pressed to get a trials bike more than a couple inches, and tha's with almost no re-bound dampening

i think its really hard cause i saw travis pastrana do it and i couldnt even see much of a gap under his bike (he didnt get very high in other words) and if he cant do more than a couple inches/centimeter i dont think you can.

it seems to hard on a dirt bike, just wheelie over it

you flat out wont bunny hop a dirtbike using only body english like you can a pushbike, for the poster above me, TP is a great sportsman, but jsut because he can't bunny hop a bike well doesnt mean it's not possible, he's not a trials rider and has never tried to be.

it's easier on a bike with stiffer (read mx) suspension, as you aproach an obstical, pop the front wheel into the air while keeping you body in a nuetral, or evan slightly forward leaning position, once the front end is up, chop the throttle (and even give the brake brake a slight tap), push down on the bar's, and grip with the bike you knee's and pull it up towards you in one motion, once ya get it properly you can get a maybe 6 inches- to a foot of air this way, i know alot of desert racer use this to clear washout's at high speed (in some cases up to 20 feet across or more)

i recently went on a trail ride with one such desert rider coming up to a puddle, him slightly in front, i thought i was gonna take a shower, but instead he pulled this little trick and "bunny hopped" strait over the top of a 10 foot across puddle, without touching the surface of the water at all, i was a happy camper.

I stand corrected. Talk about a skill I never though I would try to learn... It's because my motorcycle days were born on the street. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

This video from the same guy teaching bunnyhops but displays how I go over the tougher stuff. It's kinda like a bunny hop but no rear lifting. Just weight removal from pegs at the right moment.

Edited by SRAD97750

It's possible:

actually the tables in Dallas SX this year made everybody pretty much bunny hop from one to the next because they had no lip.

That being said, I can't do it. I can't even almost do it 👍

it's easier on a bike with stiffer (read mx) suspension, as you aproach an obstical, pop the front wheel into the air while keeping you body in a nuetral, or evan slightly forward leaning position, once the front end is up, chop the throttle (and even give the brake brake a slight tap), push down on the bar's, and grip with the bike you knee's and pull it up towards you in one motion, once ya get it properly you can get a maybe 6 inches- to a foot of air this way, i know alot of desert racer use this to clear washout's at high speed (in some cases up to 20 feet across or more)

Is there any vids out there that demo this?

Grab a soccer ball between your feet. Get into an almost squatted position. Jump and in one motiontry to throw the ball up in the air over your head. You will be bring your calves up to your hamstrings very quickly.

Almost the same motion on a motorcycle. Pretend like you are trying to throw the rear wheel up in the air with your feet.

ok ok.. So it's not a full sized bike, but best I got.. Jumping a 3 foot or so gap over the sidewalk at about 25-30mph..

I just floor it before I'm ready to jump, the front wheel comes up in a wheelie, and I slam the rear break once the front wheel is in the air, at the same time jumping and pushing forward 👍

bunnyhop12tx.jpg

I can hop my fully loaded wr250f with 3 gallons of gas in it about 3-4 inches.

Its at the end of this video please excuse the annoying sound at the beginning.

Like the others are saying Wheelie then lean forward and clamp the bike with your ankles then lift the rear wheel up. The soccer ball is a good example.

i was gonna say i thought I remember seeing one where someone was bunny hopping a soda can. Like the last video said, its all about timing. Once u get the timing down its not that hard. With that said you wont see me bunny hopping anything of any significance, atleast with a big bike. I started doin it on a pit bike, then moved to the big bike. its actually pretty easy to do it on pit bike, maybe a little too easy. (my buddy was doing them on his pitbike the first day he got it, and he hastn rode in years). But practicing on a little bike at first will help you get the general idea.