Sign in to follow this  

Washington desert 100 start debacle

Thanks Stumpjumpers, you put on a great event. Being a first timer, as a forty something. To say I was scared to death would be an understatement. The line worker by me did a great job by realizing the race was on and telling us all to go. But, if a redo is the only way to settle this. Count me in:ride:

The fact of the matter is that part of the blame is that the cannon was not in position before they lined us up. The club does a fantastic with the race,but when everybodys lined up and ready to go,time is'nt on thier side.Having been going there since the first annual,you might say i've just about seen it all.People get jacked up and the sound of mouse farting will get it started.I get excited just typing about it.I don't agree with it,but it's go's with THE event. Rich

You are exactly right, Rich. We had everyone lined up calmly on the fence. The cannon was not in place. Had the cannon been ready, it would have been a perfect start. You can only hold up a HUGE row of racers, so long. One knucklehead in the group and it is all over. (I have a hard time believing a class kid like Ricky would jump the start, btw)

Did anyone notice how smoothly the 2nd wave lined up and started? Everyone was at the fence, cannon goes off, racers run, done deal.

How about a crop duster??? It can fly high enough for everyone to see!!!! He can push a button and GREEN FOG comes out and everyone goes!! Green means go in NASCAR!!!! No fire hazard!!!!

From what I understand the local crop duster is also the cannoneer. It was a calm morning and he had to fly making him run a bit late. Maybe we can get him to spray the course for dust too?

If we didn't have the false start to complain about then the internet would be boring! :thumbsup:

TONY

No, but the several thousand RV's and several thousand gallons of gas would....

If they shot them over the rv's then we'd all be wondern wasup? That said, that camp area is a ticking time-bomb when we are packed in there...just waitn for the day one trailer has a fire and no one can get their rig out and away. That is the scariest thing there for me. I've seen rv's go up and it aint pretty. Back on topic...dont wait next year when someone jumps...

I'd like to hear Ricky's story. :thumbsup:

it goes somrthing like, when someone goes...GO! He was not the first, I was near him and saw him go. He did not wait like some of us dumba$$e$ but was far from the first.

If they shot them over the rv's then we'd all be wondern wasup? That said, that camp area is a ticking time-bomb when we are packed in there...just waitn for the day one trailer has a fire and no one can get their rig out and away. That is the scariest thing there for me. I've seen rv's go up and it aint pretty. Back on topic...dont wait next year when someone jumps...

Well, since nobody actually cares, and won't do anything about it. Sounds like a good plan. :lol::thumbsup:

I was also near him, and it was embarrassing...

Peace

Thanks SJMC for a great event. Sorry to get impatient but i'm chomping at the bit. Any idea when the pics and results will be up?

Another thing I thought was strange was at 9:24ish just about all riders left the fence and walked to their bikes to start them for a warm up session. Why are riders allowed to leave the fence to warm up their bike just prior to the start?

As far as the start I think there should be a course worker every 200 feet or so in front of the bikes for the length of the start. NO ONE starts while they are in front of the bikes. At about 30 seconds before the cannon fires they can walk to a location between the bikes and riders. This would signal the 30 second countdown to the cannon BOOM. Of course the workers would need to somehow be in sync.

Thanks SJMC for a great event. Sorry to get impatient but i'm chomping at the bit. Any idea when the pics and results will be up?
i just got my pics on my laptop....it will take me a good while to weed through the countless pics. I hope to have them up by the end of this weekend...but am not making a promise. :lol:

It doesn't matter what is done at a cue for the start....the idiots jump no matter what. I was 2 miles away and in a ravine (Hawks Nest for those in the know) and clearly heard the cannon for the 2nd wave. I personally would like to flog every Son of a B!tch that walks to their bike after parking it and making it to the fence. I have worked the line and have gone horse scream to "Get Back". :thumbsup: People just don't think sometimes. They are sitting on a powder keg and want to go back and start their bike to keep it warm!!!! Time to remove my size 11 Oneal Shorty boot from their a$$! :lol:

Keep the Cannon as there is no better start option. Seriously...there is NO misstaking the Cannon. I repeat, public flogging for the jumpers.:)