Sign in to follow this  

BMW G450X possible trade

Got a customer that wants to trade a 09 G450X for a Husaberg. I'm wondering if there is much interest in this bike if I can get in on the cheap?

dcg: Like any dirt bike, the value drops VERY quickly & the GX is no exception from what I've seen for the '09's. Also, this is a "Love It or Hate It" bike so the audience is relatively small. This is no help to you but I love my GX but sorta wish I had picked up my dealer owner's bike w/250 total miles for $6k-ish instead of the $8k I paid....

Bob in AZ

Give me a buzz Tuesday to discuss current wholesale valuation if you like, heck maybe I'd take it for the right price.

866-984-9844 ext#24

On a side note after riding some Husabergs yesterday, a couple of good riding buddies were expecting more out of the FE570 compared to a properly tuned G450X 👍

Give me a buzz Tuesday to discuss current wholesale valuation if you like, heck maybe I'd take it for the right price.

866-984-9844 ext#24

On a side note after riding some Husabergs yesterday, a couple of good riding buddies were expecting more out of the FE570 compared to a properly tuned G450X 👍

The 570 has pretty mellow delivery. I really prefer the FX450.

dcg: Like any dirt bike, the value drops VERY quickly & the GX is no exception from what I've seen for the '09's. Also, this is a "Love It or Hate It" bike so the audience is relatively small. This is no help to you but I love my GX but sorta wish I had picked up my dealer owner's bike w/250 total miles for $6k-ish instead of the $8k I paid....

Bob in AZ

Bob in AZ,

Can you explain the "Hate it" part on the BMW G450X, please? I have a friend who is considering a 2010 model and it would be good to pass along some facts from someone who has ridden one before and compared it to other bikes. What functional aspect (handling, power, performance, usabillity) of it is it that people do not like? Can you provide details or characteristics? He is also looking closely at my Beta 450RS and was thinking of the BMW because it just looks and appears to be so unique and interesting. I sat on one and like the BMW alot but would have to ride one and compare to my own Beta 450RS before making a determination. Details? Examples?

First year was a first year in a few small little regards,.primarily suspension tuning. I've known a few reputable riders who spent some time on the '10s and had nothing but praise for the bike. Rear shock is the biggest update on the '10s. Everyone wanted to point the finger at the Zokes, but I've come to the realization recently that the chattering on decel in the chop and harshness in the forks was all due to the Ohlins rear on the 09's. A TTX rear replacement or updating the internals on the 09 stocker is the solution and then there's not much to whine about. Even at that the stock 09 is a heck of a bike and very good in the technical terrain. Engine is by far the strongest feature of the bike. Fuel injection is spot on and there's power everywhere.

Decooney: What I meant by the G450X "love it or hate it" comment was that most owners would agree, even those who love the bike like me, the bike has been "controversial" to say the least. 2009 owners were the "testers" of sorts since it was the first model year. And, David Knight bailing on the BMW WEC race team didn't help with his own brand of disrespect for the bike.

I look at the GX reality a couple ways. First, for 95% of GX riders, the bike is just fine in almost every regard particularly the engine which Bobby from BMW Atlanta stated (Btw, Bobby's posts = outstanding source of info here!). Second, most all dirt bike riders get suspension work done to suit their needs & the GX is no exception. So, any criticism in the suspension area is unwarranted IMHO. Find a good suspension tuner & the GX is very adaptable to any riding/racing style just like any other dirt bike.

A very small number of bikes have had electrical problems & dealer support in the beginning was spotty due, I belive, to the learning curve on a 1st yr model. Review all the G450X threads here to learn about it. But, don't be freaked out! Most/all have been sorted out by now & I believe the problem source has been identified.

Beyond this, there are other owners here more highly qualified to pass judgment & all those views are expressed in the various posts. Personally, I love my GX & don't regret the bike; just wish I knew my dealer owner was selling his for $6k w/only 500 miles. In the end, I love the quality everywhere I look on the bike & also love riding something different. Love the engine & this thing hooks up! And, the street legal feature is a plus for where I llive. Although I'd like a little more range, I'm not overly bothered by stuff like a hard seat (ever ridden a KTM for the last zillion years?).

Speaking of miles, the miles are racking up on the bike now & there are longer-term results from owners with different riding styles from trail to racing. Again, check out the threads here.

Hope this clarifies and, bottom line for me.... I'd buy my GX all over again w/out hesitation.

Bob in AZ