Sign in to follow this  

1981 Suzuki PE400 Problems Help?

I have a 81 Suzuki pe400 and i have a problem with it. It is hard 2 start the first time but once it starts the first time you can let it sit for a few hours and it will start on the first kick. When we would go riding at our camp we would ride all day and it would be fine but let it sit over night the next morning it is super hard to start. Also my buddy was riding it and i try to tell him about how i put a bigger rear sprocket on and it has amazing bottom end. Well he decided to crack the throttle in first gear and it flipped and bend the exhaust muffler up and it doesn't run the same as it did before it was bent. I need a way to bend it back down without messing up the inside. I hate to buy a new exhaust pipe but i will if there's no fix. The problem with starting happened since i got it and still happens. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix either of these problems? Anything will help.

Edited by B1ACK VE1VET
Forgot to post a few things

Because your bike normally starts good once its warm, you could just try to work out a cold starting routine. I had an old '79 Can-Am 370 that would never start when it was cold unless I tipped it on its side and waited for some gas to spill out one of the carb over flows. Then it would fire. So try something like that.

As far as the silencer goes, the inner core could be bent and that needs to be removed before you can straighten it. The problem is that this silencer is not serviceable it's all welded together. So you have three options: 1. Leave it alone. 2. Cut it apart and try to fix it and then weld it back together. 3. Buy a used/new replacement.

Buying a newer one that can be rebuilt is the best way to go as your silencer is more restrictive than a newer designed silencer core that uses a turbine core spark arrestor.