Sign in to follow this  

New top and Clutch

Okay, it has been awhile since I messed with these bikes. I tore it all down today and put a new top end and new clutch basket in my 01 rm 250 and soaking the fibers now. Tomorrow I will finish putting in the new clutch. I want to know the best way to break in the new top end and clutch so that i don't f/%k anything up.

man I can't even see how this ran as good as it did it was missing about 1inch of the top of the piston around down to the top ring on the exhaust side. I guess it went out the pipe because the cylinder was perfect not a single scratch, sorry for the spelling. long day and now winding down with a cold one.

piston2-1.jpg

piston1-1.jpg

did you hone the cylinder? i Let my bike idle for 10 min and kinda blip the throttle. 3 times while 20 min to cool down inbetween. When you first ride it, go easy for first 5 min or so then let er rip! I herd people break in their clutchs by changing the oil after first short ride, but not sure

no didn't hone it. I use a scotch pad and specked out the new rings. they had to be filed down as they were to tight. My book said .031 and I couldn't get a 30 gap between. Cylinder was spotless I mean spotless.

any special mixture i.e. heavier than 32.1 while breaking it in?