Sign in to follow this  

when to resume lifting after injury

I messed up my shoulder about three months ago. After the injury I took 7 weeks off from riding but started back lifting after about 4 weeks.

My first race back exactly one month ago I had a little spill and reinjured the shoulder. (I do not know exactly what is wrong some sort of tear or something, I do not think it is major)

I am curious what is the proper way to determine when to start back doing weight training.

Today when jumping over a barbed wire fence (picture one arm, the sore one, on the top of fence, climb up jump over and off other side) I had a pretty sharp short duration pain in the injured shoulder. So obviously it is not back 100% yet.

Should I wait until it is completely healed to do any weight lifting? Or is it better to start before?

Thanks

I can’t say when to train the injured part however don’t forget you have the rest of your body that isn’t injured and therefore should be trained. I have trained through two elbow surgeries, one knee surgery, and a torn rotator cuff by modifying my training and working around the injured body parts. In the group I train with we use the motto that you “have to train the parts that work”.