Sign in to follow this  

Dumbest mechanical mistakes you've made

So I completely rebuilt the rear wheel of my 02 cr250r. New bearings, spokes, tire, sprocket. I haven't ridden my bike for about 8 months since i took the wheel off and this weekend I finally made it to my upstate place in NY to ride. Last night, I put the wheel back on, tensioned the chain just right and took it out for a spin. I made it about 100 feet and then I heard a loud noise and feel the power stop. I look down in the darkness and my chain is lying on the grass, glistening in the reflection of the lights from my house. I FORGOT TO PUT THE CHAIN CLIP TOGETHER!!!!!! :applause:👍🤣🙂

Normally I am very meticulous, but after an almost a year of not riding and missing it so much I was in a hurry and I forgot to put the other other half of the chain clip in and the retainer clip and it fell off as I was riding in the night. Dealership was closed on sunday!!!!! And the best part was I had saved my old chain, but I had lost the clip for it. At least I got a nice wheelie in.

So in 8 months I rode my bike 100 feet. awesome:thumbsup:

I deserve an award. Have you guys done anything that smart?

working on alot of bikes, mistakes happen.. prob my most favored mistake was when I was re-jetting a 81 xl500s and forgot to cover the crankcase vent with a rag.. all I have to say is I made a hole in one with float bowl screw.. 👍

I stuffed a rag into the air intake on a bike while I was servicing the filter. The next day I put the filter back on and forgot the rag was still there. Got to a riding area and tried like hell to get the bike running, found the rag later that day (back home).

working on alot of bikes, mistakes happen.. prob my most favored mistake was when I was re-jetting a 81 xl500s and forgot to cover the crankcase vent with a rag.. all I have to say is I made a hole in one with float bowl screw.. 👍

Man that would of been a real piss off.

I stuffed a rag into the air intake on a bike while I was servicing the filter. The next day I put the filter back on and forgot the rag was still there. Got to a riding area and tried like hell to get the bike running, found the rag later that day (back home).

lol your not alone on that 1 man.

There's not enough bandwith left on the Internet for me to answer this question honestly...

how about clean your air filter in gas, then go to melt a tear in it with a lighter (after you let it dry but didnt check if it was dry enough) well then you get a flaming air filter

Been there done that. I caught it in the driveway before I loaded for the ride. I sure I have more.

Whoop

Paul

My nephew put his master link on backwards, chain came apart on a 80ft double. crash and burn. HE'S OK.

As for me the I forgot to put on a condom 3x.

Naw they are the best thing to ever happen to me.👍

the worst done so far (knock on wood) Is bend the chain clip off but to lazy to get a new clip so put the bent one on, cliped on, after i came back (lucky i guess) The chain was still on but guess what i used for the replacement till i got a new one... a peice of thin wire, curled it,hey it worked!!

i put my bike bike together after checking valve clearances

but i forget to put the engine head stay mount back on

lets say this, lot of f words that day

I overtightened the oil drain plug on a yamaha raptor700 and ripped all the threads. Aluminum block + steel plug = trouble

2 weeks ago working on my friends kx250f at like 2am, dead tired but he is supposed to leave the next morning for cali to go ride so i had to get it done for him. I get the cylinder on, head on, timing chain on and im triple checking the timing when next to me I see the thick copper washer that goes into the little slot UNDER THE CYLINDER to seal the coolant port. Not happy. had to take it all back apart to put it in.

2 weeks ago working on my friends kx250f at like 2am, dead tired but he is supposed to leave the next morning for cali to go ride so i had to get it done for him. I get the cylinder on, head on, timing chain on and im triple checking the timing when next to me I see the thick copper washer that goes into the little slot UNDER THE CYLINDER to seal the coolant port. Not happy. had to take it all back apart to put it in.

how about puttin the whole motor together then looking in your pan on the stand, bottom end plus top end dowels arent in the engine......

Fully rebuilt motor, big bore, crank, ported head, new valves etc etc. First ride out, oil plug fell out and seized the motor within 5 minutes. I need to buy another big bore kit..... $400 mistake because I didn't double check the oil drain bolt.

I've made a few but the one that I can remember right now is when I bought a new jug of transmission oil off a friend for my bike. Drained the old, went to pour in the new only to find out after I poured it all in its pissing out of the drain hole I never re-plugged. Yay wasting 10 bucks in under 10 seconds. 👍

I just recently took my bike out of winter storage for my first ride in 4 months. The weather was perfect and I was adjusting my forks. I hand tightened the bolts in the triple clamps and something came up and I left my bike for awhile. I came back, hopped on and took a ride. Later that night I was washing it and noticed one bolt missing and 3 others on the same side where very very loose. 👍

My clutch stopped working on my KTM 200, it would lurch into first gear with the clutch pulled in all the way and would stall the bike. I bled the clutch with no change in feel. I had a few people stop over to look at it and had the clutch all ripped out when we realized I had the wrong oil in there. The service book called for 80W oil, so I put some type of gear oil in it, oops. We put everything back together, put 10W 30 in it and it shifts perfect. The best part was it was a free mistake, those rarely happen to me.

I haven't messed with bikes too much, but dumb mistakes on a car would be the size of a novel by the time I was done with it.

Put the spark plug in my kx250's head to keep stuff out when I did a top end. I forgot to finish tightening it so it vibrated, wrecked the threads and popped out a few miles down the road.