09 YZ250F - Clutch Problems

Excited to say that I'm an old man (32 years old) - and just bought a new YZ250F... I've ridden street bikes for years, but I have to say that right now the dirt bike is kicking my ass... regularly...

I've ridden my bike 3 times now and I've gotta say - wow... lots of torque. A completely different experience than a crotch rocket.

I've done a lot of searching on this forum and learned that there is a lot of experience to tap into. I've got a problem with my bike. From everything I can tell my clutch is junk. I know that Yamaha redid the clutch for 09' (I've read all about the washer trick and the clutch basket drilling). My symptoms - The bike is difficult to start in gear, it is near impossible to find neutral, the bike gets stuck between 1st and neutral often when trying to click into 2nd, it is very tough to know what gear you are in, and if you are on an uphill it is literally impossible to feather the clutch enough to not kill the bike - you have to gun it.

Seems pretty clear to me that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I've adjusted the clutch cable a bunch of times, and just done the first oil/filter change with no real suprises on what came out of the crankcase. Before I start throwing money at it trying to fix it (clutch springs, new clutch, hydraulic clutch lever, rekluse clutch, etc) - anybody have an idea on what I can try?

Thanks for the help!?

There is a lot of drag on the clutch until it is fully heated (and re-adjusted mid ride, which is where the hydraulic clutch serves its' purpose-no need to adjust it). I find when I pull the clutch in and rev it, it is easy to find neutral then.

Starting in gear, just a faster kick is about all I can suggest there.

You bike is still real fresh as are you to dirt bikes. Give it a little more time.

So I think I may have gotten the stalling figured out when going up a hill... I checked my chain tension and it was pretty loose. I think I was slipping a tooth and killing the engine.

Regardless of the chain tension - I can't get the clutch to behave correctly ever - regardless of how the cable is adjusted (hot clutch or cold). It was so bad that sometimes on flat ground it was impossible to feather the clutch out enough without stalling the engine. It is like it doesn't ever fully engage the clutch when the handle is let go and it doesn't ever fully disengage when I've got the lever pulled all the way back. Anybody?

So I think I may have gotten the stalling figured out when going up a hill... I checked my chain tension and it was pretty loose. I think I was slipping a tooth and killing the engine.

Regardless of the chain tension - I can't get the clutch to behave correctly ever - regardless of how the cable is adjusted (hot clutch or cold). It was so bad that sometimes on flat ground it was impossible to feather the clutch out enough without stalling the engine. It is like it doesn't ever fully engage the clutch when the handle is let go and it doesn't ever fully disengage when I've got the lever pulled all the way back. Anybody?

Shift harder between first and second; as in real hard and deliberate. That will keep you from missing shifts.

Feathering the clutch is learning where the engagement point is and then hovering between not full engaged or disengaged with the lever actuation.