Sign in to follow this  

Might buy an 2000 RM 250, what should I look for....

bike looks clean... You can tell if it needs a rebuild (bottom end & main berrings) if you can feel not normal vibration through the bars while sitting on it and when you take the ignition cover off, there is movement in the flywheel , and when you ride it, the bike dosent feel as powerful, sluggish through the gears and weak power band hit (top end or power valve gunked). Someone correct me if im wrong but the 00' and 01' modle, you have to split the cases for the water pump seal. So check the oil for milkey looking oil, and check the coolant level before and after you ride it, be carful.

You won't necessarily be able to here if the piston and rings need to be replaced unless they are REALLLY worn out. In general, a newer top end is SLIGHTLY quieter than an older one. The main thing that makes a difference in sound is the jetting. I know a 125 should be able to rip when revving it in neutral. however, i believe 250s don't scream quite as much, some one will post what a 250 suppose to sound like soon enough.

You should be more concerned about what kind of shape the tranny and suspension/bearings are in. A top end replacement is about as easy as it gets so that shouldn't be your main concern.

Crrider: your right about the water pump.

I think that stopped in 01. but that bike looks pretty good.

Edited by gscx
its a 2000

I have a 00 RM250. That bike looks pretty clean and it's nice that its a one-owner.

My personal theory on these older bikes is that one should plan on spending around 2500 to get a good reliable bike. Either you buy a later model for around 2k and put 500 into it... or you buy and older model and put 1k to 1500 into it.

At minimum you want to replace the top end and consider sending out the jug. You also want to split the cases and spec everything inside. Measure the shift forks, Replace all bearings and inspect the cases for anything abnormal. Either service or replace all the suspension and wheel bearings. New chain and sprockets and you will have serviced all moving parts on the bike. You can now rely on your well maintained ride to provide fun!

Sure, you can buy the bike and ride the piss out of it right away... but you'll be spending that money eventually. Might as well plan for it and do the work on the frontside. 👍

Huh? I wouldn't spend more than $1100-1500 for a 10yr old bike!

Looks like an SST or track type pipe on there so he's been riding it on the track and EVERYTHING could be shot including wheel bearings and linkage and shocks and forks and chain block bolts might be frozen which is another joy.

I don't care how good it looks as a pig with lipstick can look like sarah palin, but it's still an old shrill hag which needs a lotta work and will, GUARANTEED.

Huh? I wouldn't spend more than $1100-1500 for a 10yr old bike!

Looks like an SST or track type pipe on there so he's been riding it on the track and EVERYTHING could be shot including wheel bearings and linkage and shocks and forks and chain block bolts might be frozen which is another joy.

I don't care how good it looks as a pig with lipstick can look like sarah palin, but it's still an old shrill hag which needs a lotta work and will, GUARANTEED.

$1100-$1500?? Try no more than $1000.... ITS TEN YEARS OLD!

I have a 00 RM250.

My personal theory on these older bikes is that one should plan on spending around 2500 to get a good reliable bike. Either you buy a later model for around 2k and put 500 into it... or you buy and older model and put 1k to 1500 into it.

👍

My basis on this number mentioned as I myself would NOT spend more than $1000, either, however, unless this was zimbabwe money, spending $2500 for anything over 5yrs is just being a sucker!

The mods on the bike don't necessarily mean its been raced or anything. Even if it was race it could be still be a fine bike if the guy did the maintenance.

IMO the price seems pretty reasonable.

Look at the expansion chamber to see dents. Ask to see the old one if he's just put on the new one, if it has lots it means the rider might not have cared for the bike. Also do the basic check, check the spokes to see if their seized if yes price drop, breakages in the frame and ask for reason of sale. See if the bikes easy to start etc

I picked my 01 for 1k and it needed some work so this is not far off. If he just put a top end ask for receipts. If he doesn't have them ask to pull the pipe and look in the exhaust port to see the piston. Everyone says that they put a new top end on their bike. But honestly not everyone spends 150 on a bike and then turns around and sells? I would try the clutch and make sure it is smooth. These older RMs are notorious for worn out clutch baskets. That would another 200 plus 50 to a 100 for clutch kit. This will give and idea on what you might have to spend and what you can bargain with him on. Check fork seals also. That would about another 100 or so if either of them is leaking.

It just ain't worth it. $2500 and then another $1000 to fix it? Get a 2005 for $3500!

You are at 10yrs old and things are starting to get brittle including plastic and radiator mounts and the money adds up real fast.

What I'd ask is when the wheel bearing were last changed and unless you can see anti-seize grease in them, run! You also gotta check the throttle linkage to the carb and those plastic parts in the carb and when were reeds last changed and on and on........and for whatever reason on 99-2001, those chain blocks can work one week and you change a sprocket or go to tighten the chain and the thing is frozen and ends up snapping off...........

I had another bike to ride while I got mine running right and an outlaw so I was never out a bike, but if this is gonna be your only bike............forget it or be ready to sit on the garage floor A LOT!

It just ain't worth it. $2500 and then another $1000 to fix it? Get a 2005 for $3500!

You are at 10yrs old and things are starting to get brittle including plastic and radiator mounts and the money adds up real fast.

What I'd ask is when the wheel bearing were last changed and unless you can see anti-seize grease in them, run! You also gotta check the throttle linkage to the carb and those plastic parts in the carb and when were reeds last changed and on and on........and for whatever reason on 99-2001, those chain blocks can work one week and you change a sprocket or go to tighten the chain and the thing is frozen and ends up snapping off...........

I had another bike to ride while I got mine running right and an outlaw so I was never out a bike, but if this is gonna be your only bike............forget it or be ready to sit on the garage floor A LOT!

The guy only wants 1200 for the 2000 year bike not 2500.

I paid $1100 for the same bike.............3yrs ago! That was $100 too much as I got it home and the chain blocks were frozen.

I have seen alot of 05, 06, 07's on here that I wouldnt trade my 99 for even with boot. It all depends on how the bike has been caref for. As far as power I have rode almost every 2 stroke there is out there other than the excotic bikes and I have never rode one that would run out from under me anymore than mine would... The only downfall about the 99's and some other ones in my book is the water pump. When I split the cases at the end of the year I jus put a new one in to be safe....Goodluck

i rode my brothers 1999 rm250 and it seemed like it handled really good and it felt light. But honestly the engine felt kinda weak, maybe its his bike but for me it seemed like it would just die once you got the revs up. I could just feel the bike slow down. Im not bashing on them but just explaining what you can expect

Im not saying like it would bog out or anything. Im just saying i could literally feel the engine stop making power. And in the bottom and mid it was really good. But anything above that was a big no no. Too low octane would make it ping at low rpms, as the timing is advanced more during that time. I guess it could be the powervalve if it has literally a shiton of carbon on it. But if the powervalve doesnt open up its like the engine just stops revving, ive had it happen on my old yz