Sign in to follow this  

What gas?

Hello all, I'm looking in to buying a strictly off road bike within the next month or so and I'm thinking cr250. I'm a Honda guy, so sue me.

I'm interested to know what octane gas you guys run. I live in SoCal so 91 octane is all that we get at the pumps. How many guys run pump gas? I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the cr250's seem to be pretty picky with 91 octane gas and have a problem pinging. Anyone confirm this? If so is there anything I can do to get it to run safely on pump gas? I would just like it for the availability, I would hate to have to go searching for race gas everytime I wanted to go ride. Thanks guys 👍.

These bikes were designed to run on pump premium. Just make sure your jetting is reasonable and you'll be fine.

Well I was thinking around 00-04, like I said I dont have one yet just looking into it

I run premium pump with no problems. Manual calls for it. Here it is 92 octane. You just need to remember different regions will have different octane levels.

Yea, here in california 91 octane is premium. Is there anything I could do to help it run better since it calls for 92 octane? Bigger gasket or something? Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea, here in california 91 octane is premium. Is there anything I could do to help it run better since it calls for 92 octane? Bigger gasket or something? Thanks for the replies guys.

Octane varies on region. Different elevations and such will have different octane levels as their premium. Otherwise, the entire country would all have the same octane levels of premium.

I would do a little research before you start thinking about using an octane booster as well. The bottle may say it raises 1 point for every so much that you use, but the math behind it is different. For every 1 point it says your are raising your octane level, you are actually raising around .1 octane. So, you would have to use quite a bit to boost your octane level in your gas significantly.

+1 Premium pump gas. Im in So Cal, and I know of a few stations that sell 100 unleaded 'race fuel'. But its stoopid expensive @ over 6.50+gal. When I was drag racing 1993-2003, I was running 110 Octane leaded race fuel. Back then it cost 3.50 a gal! Needless to say, that car is now parked....

Anyway, prem should be fine. If you have pinging, most M/C shops sell race fuel in 5gal jugs, and it can be blended w/Premium. Ive have never been a fan of, nor used octane boosters.

I have a 2007 CR250, and I've been running half and half 100 octane race gas and 91 octane premium pump gas. I didn't get to the station a couple weeks back, so I ran straight 91 octane with no problem that week. 91 octane is about three bucks a gallon, and the 100 octane is just over six bucks, so I don't mind spending the extra six bucks on a couple gallons of the good stuff to mix in to my 5 gallon jug. Seems like cheap insurance... (I think running straight 100 octane or going with 110 would be a waste of money.)

I have had problems with pump gas and now run vp c12. Problem solved, but its expensive, If I get more ride time, Ill run it mixed with pump to save a little. Also my last factory sealed can of c12, when poured into my vp brand gas jug, measured exactly 4.5 gallons. I wonder if that happens often.

I've accidentally put 86 octane gas into my Kx250 a couple times and it ran fine. But I'm at 6400ft so I burn less gas. Less gas = cooler engine temps. It's definitely not really good to run it at that octane for very long, but I just use 91 octane for my Kx (whenever I remember too haha) and I definitely use 91 for my Cr500. The only thing that octane really is, is a fuel stabilizer, so adding octane booster should help you out. I've never used it though, so I don't know how well it works.

I run 91 octane in the '03 CR250 I bought last x-mas and it was pinging like crazy. After I got the slow jet and air screw dialed I played around with the needle height. Now it runs much better, no spooge or pinging.

I run 91 octane in the '03 CR250 I bought last x-mas and it was pinging like crazy. After I got the slow jet and air screw dialed I played around with the needle height. Now it runs much better, no spooge or pinging.

Good point. 1st, get jetting spot-on 👍

We're running 100 octane AV gas in both of our 250s. However, I had RB-Designs set the squish and cut the heads for that gas. I can buy AV gas here for $4.00 / gallon. That's a good bit cheaper than race gas and I don't have to worry about getting ethanol when I buy AV gas.

We're running 100 octane AV gas in both of our 250s. However, I had RB-Designs set the squish and cut the heads for that gas. I can buy AV gas here for $4.00 / gallon. That's a good bit cheaper than race gas and I don't have to worry about getting ethanol when I buy AV gas.

Agreed 👍

The last time I filled up at the local airport it was $3.90/gal. 100LL + Klotz Super Techniplate should be made into a cologne🤣