Sign in to follow this  

Runs on choke. Dies when choke off!?

2006 Kawasaki kx 250f

I just rebuilt the engine. Runs good when the choke on and runs like crap when snapping throttle as choke is off and then dies completely when you let off throttle.

I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly and all the jets are stock.

Anybody have any suggestions on what it could be?

seems like you are having a lean mixture condition, check the amount of turns out in your fuel screw, and check for any air leaks trough the entire intake system, if everything else seems fine you just need to adjust the idle knob, once the bike is reaches its normal operating temp pulling the hot start lever should make the bike idle faster if it doesn't my opininion is that you definetly have a lean mixture condition in you bike

anytime someone "rebuilds" a motor then complains about it not wanting to run while not on choke. This is a lean issue how ever if it ran before and all you did was a piston maybe crank or even valve but didn't change cylinder size or porting. The issue you have is probably either A. miss alligned cams when installing cam chain. or B. horridly miss lashed valves. A is generaly the culprit and if you didn't use a new cam chain well I can probably say for certain it is. Allways use a new change when ever the head is off the bike unless you have no more then 2-3hrs on the older cam chain. Even then I would put a new one on if it was more then an hour my self. !