Sign in to follow this  

New to 2 Strokes

Hi,

I just have bought my first 2 stroke, It is a 1997 KX100 which has all the following done lately:

Engine recently rebuilt with all new bearings and seals

Front forks resealed and rebushed

Rear shock rebuilt

New swinging arm bearings

New wheel bearings

Recent Tyres

New seat cover side panels and rear mudguard

I am going to collect it tonight. My bike before was a TTR 125 which is a 4 Stroke.

What do I need to do different with a 2 stroke?

Don't I need to mix fuel? If I do what am I mixing?

Do I have to regulary take it apart? ( I am only using it in fields with some jumps, not serious racing)

Any advice/tips would be appreciated!👍

Thanks,

James

Better do some reading of the manual! You will want to mix premium pump gas with a good 2 stroke oil (e.g., Yamalube 2R) at 32:1. Your air filter will also have to be cleaned much more often than your TTR. Keeping the filter clean, and running the right premix (you bike is jetted stock for 32:1) are the keys to smoker happiness and longevity. Otherwise, it's just normal bike maintenance.

Thanks for that! The bike doesn't come with a manual but I have just bought one online so it should come through soon.

Any other advice Lads?

The "right" premix is purely subjective to one's opinion. You definitely need to read through the manual. It will give you a lot of trouble shooting tips for common issues that bikes can have. On top on making sure the air filter is clean, you will want to change the transmission fluid every 8 to 10 hours, depending on your riding. The "right" oil in the transmission is also subjective to one's own opinion. Just do a little searching and make your own decision based off what you think is best and what fits your budget. If you start asking people what you should use, you will get a hundred different answers.

Good luck and have fun!

I took it out this morning for a little while. It started ffne first thing with the choke. The problem is that when he stops it suddenly stalls unless I keep revving it. When it stalls it is really hard to start again. I spent about 20 minutes trying to start it again. I just gave up as it wouldn't start!

I only have wellies (I need to get some motocross) boots which make my feet really sore when trying to kick start it. Is there a special technique to kick starting? I don't think it is me not kick starting it properly as I started it fine first thing!

Is there something wrong with the bike or is that just 2 strokes for you? (This is my first one)

Thanks,

If someone could reply soon that would be great as I want to try and get it working today so I can have a proper ride!

Also, are 2 Strokes meant to smoke a lot? It started smoking from the exhaust and from the front pipe which is by the fuel tank.

The grass was wet which meant it might have sprayed onto the front pipe making it smoke.

Sounds like it's wicked rich and loading up on you. You'll want to check the float height in the carb, and note what size jets are in there. Clean/repack the silencer like mentioned in your other thread. Check the reed valve as well for any cracks or chips, and make sure they seal up properly. Check what plug is in there and let us know, might have too cold of a plug in it.

2 stroke should start easy cold or hot. If not, something is wrong. For a hot start, it should be choke off, no throttle. What do you have in there for fuel now, since you were asking about what/how to mix? Is it old gas? Drain the tank and fill it with premium pump gas mixed 32:1 with good 2 stroke oil.

post up a vid of the bike running and YOU trying to kickstart it and we''l determine if its your bad at kicking and try our best to see if the bikes running too rich.

take a picture of the sparkplug and thats another easy way for us too see if your bikes is rich/lean not running right.

also you cant just putt around on it, unless jetted perfectly it will load up and foul plugs, so every now and then give it a few revs to "clear it out"

Update

I have been trying all day to get it to start. I still can't start it.

I tried to clean out the carb but I couldn't as one of the screws on the basin on the YZ 85 Carb (which it came fitted with) has been really tightened and I can't get it undone. The screw is starting to round off so me or my dad can't get any grip on it never mind enough force.

I would try the standard carb but he used the standard float and jets in the YZ Carb which I can't obviously get at because of the screw.

The spark plug still has a spark and when I take it out it has a little bit of fuel/oil on the end which goes into the bike.

I actually started it once but because I had adjusted the idle screw too high it was revving really high so I quickly turned it off. I couldn't get it too start again.

Any ideas what the problem is as I am getting quite frustrated with my first time with a 2 Stroke?!

Change the plug and see if that helps. To start my 250, I turn the gas on, lean it over til gas comes out the over flow, twist the throttle a couple of times, kick through slowly a couple of times to prime it, pull the choke, get it TDC, and give it a good, hard, full kick. 2 or 3 kicks is all it takes cold for me. It it won't start, you may need a new pilot jet, or at least the carb and jets need a good cleaning (once you are able to get it opened up).

Change the plug and see if that helps. To start my 250, I turn the gas on, lean it over til gas comes out the over flow, twist the throttle a couple of times, kick through slowly a couple of times to prime it, pull the choke, get it TDC, and give it a good, hard, full kick. 2 or 3 kicks is all it takes cold for me. It it won't start, you may need a new pilot jet, or at least the carb and jets need a good cleaning (once you are able to get it opened up).

Thanks for that! I really appreciate you getting back to me as I want to sort this out ASAP!👍

I will have to get a new plug as I don't have a spare one. What does TDC mean?

TDC = Top Dead Center.... Also, don't touch the throttle when kicking after having gone through the procedure I described. I only touch the throttle on start up when it is hot.

I have got a guy who knows his bikes very well to come and look at my bike. He did a bit of work for my dad on Rally Karts.

He says that the compression is wrong and that it will need quite a few parts which are fairly expensive then there is labour to add on. He think it needs a new Piston and Ring kit, Gasket Set, Main bearings and seals, Kick Start Racher and the cylinder will need to be refurbished.

This is going to cost approximately £400!

I thought you said the engine was just re-built 👍

Since you don't seem to know much about how to set-up your bike, you did the best thing by finding someone to help you out. When you get that bike running correctly, you should be able to start it VERY easily with just one quick jab on the kickstarter.