Sign in to follow this  

Washington ***DeSeRt 100 StOrIeS***

firecrackerkid, I saw a Husky 390 (black tank) go by me...I was sitting in the bushes, whimpering.

As we all funneled down the road to the start area I spied a group of old bikes with old riders perched on them...ah, my kind of crowd. I didn't realize that every one of them was faster than me. We all lined up together after witnessing a strange but awesome start by the "2 lappers". We were instructed to "touch the fence". I think I touched that fence for about 35 minutes. Finally, the cannon fired and we were off and running! I'm not used to running with boots on, so I immediately ate dirt before even getting to the bike...I think I know what that shoestring in the package was for: to hang yourself when you act like a fool!

The course was pretty easy to begin with, even the climbs weren't too bad, and if you chose your line correctly, the whoops were manageable. The rocks were not. One particularly tenacious rock got ahold of my back tire and kicked it left (anyone remember the term "Yamahop"?) and shot me into the dirt. No worries, up in no time and off. At about 30 miles in, I hear "Broooooom!" behind me, which by now I know means "pull the F over so my fast azz can pass your slow one". I comply, only to have Mr. Fast Azz go around me on the same side. We both go flying, my bike's laying on it's side screaming its guts out, and I can't get it to stop. I finally get it stopped and noticed the throttle cable is coming apart. This could end it here for me. I re-start the IT, and it's revving out of control. I quickly re-route the cable and stuff it all together and pray it doesn't stick WOT on me.

Another 6 miles goes by and I'm feathering the throttle and clutch, just trying to finish this thing. I come up to a hill and suddenly, baaawwwgg, the bike dies. Out of fuel. How can that be possible from a 3.2 gallon tank? No leaks, no fouled plugs, plenty of spooge. 12 mpg.:lol: Luckily, in the off chance this could happen, I carried a spare 24 oz of fuel. I dumped that in and carried on another 4 miles where it dies on me again at the steep hill climb.

The nice Aussie gentleman at the base of the hill graciously re-fills my bottle from his enormous tank and advises me to "go right, mate" up the hill. I take his advice and go up the right side of the hill. Yamadog wasn't hearing of it, so half way up the hill she Yamahops left shooting me sideways across the hill. OK, the bike apparently knows the better line and I point her up the hill. We almost make it before the rear starts spinning and I'm down. The top is 10 feet away. I pick it up, manage to remount, kick her over, dismount, walk and clutch slip it the rest of the way up. 3 miles later and I'm out of gas again...this time, no big Aussie to help and I'm less than 2 miles from my t-shirt. My race is all but done. I'm exhausted and fresh out of ideas.:)

I parked the bike at the side of the trail, and sat in the brush hoping for "1 lapper" still out, to stop and offer a few ounces of fuel. No dice. Just then, I hear "baaaawwwwg" immediately followed by "kick, kick, kick....aw:foul: It's a lady on a KX 100 who appears in distress:busted: Maybe I can help her at least finish.:jawdrop: I quickly diagnose a fouled plug after I give the little beast a footful of kicks. I pulled out the plug and sure enough it was black gunky. I put in a fresh plug, choked the little motor and kicked it to 1/2 second of life...no more. We both gave up and started walking toward the finish.

Big Aussie finally catches up to us, can't spare any fuel, he's been helping too many others. He can't believe I've run out of fuel again. He diagnoses the KX as being out of fuel (I knew that). "Your jettin's way off, mate". Ya think? We keep walking. A kindly Stumpjumper spies us poor folks and just happens to have a tankful of gas in his CRF and a bottle of 2-stroke oil...nearby on the trail are two discarded bottles...we're saved! 16 oz is enough for the girl's KX to get to the finish, as I hear her bike spring to life and take off. 16 oz might get me to the next hill.

I do make it over the hill, and see the same helpful Stumpjumper waiting for me at the corner with....another bottle of pre-mixed gas!:applause: I thank him profusely as he re-directs me back onto the course...I finish the race, and collect my $950 t-shirt.

Was it worth it? You bet!:thumbsup:

sloron426.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

Hey helmet hair, I was staying right beside you in that hotel-i know that lady too! as well as ended up pitting beside you in vendors row. I had a good start and got super crossed up about halfway through the first lap and managed to stay on, but ran over my own foot and twisted up my leg. Then about 35 miles in tagged a basketball size rock and cartwheeled over the bars. Bent the rim blew out the front tire-(awesome job the neutech tubliss did of holding the bead on btw)After banging my handguard down so my front brake would release and getting back on I rode the rest to the pit and called it a day. Couldnt move my neck and my eyes werent working right. So I thought best to live another day than go out and wipe out even worse.

Man, sorry to hear about that. I hate hitting rocks. My ancient bike banged and clanged over every one of them and beat me to heck and back. I'll take whoops any day...y'all can have the rocks!:thumbsup:

So DNF 1st lap, my poor wife sat there with the gas can for 3 1/2 hours in the dust (thanks pissy pants crew). So in closing without all the clubs volunteers and such I would still be out there gasping for air. Worst part? I changed my front tire after the poker run AND REUSED THE TUBE EVEN THOUGH I HAD ANOTHER HEAVY DUTY WITH ME. My cheap a#s will NEVER make that mistake again. I'll be back.

#113 right? I was helping a friend pit for his boy and a couple of friends, and was next to your wife and the pissy pants crew.

I took off after everyone in our group was accounted for, glad you made it out OK.

Sorry to hear about your ribs hope they heal quick. Your welcome.

Member racer from team pissy pants

My bike is old ('79) and I'm even older ('67)
LOL I thought you were 67, man I am thinking wow this guy is one tough sob! Now I realize you were born in 67 and you are my youngest brothers age. I will be 50 this summer, I am feeling better all the time! Truly I wish I would have seen you I would have sloshed you a quart. I had what seemed like a 40 gallon tank, but I think it is a 4 gallon clarke under the blue spray paint. I gave my brother 48oz and still finished with over 1/4 tank left. Of course you don't use as much fuel at 1400 rpm :thumbsup:.

There was a 70 year old guy on a new husaberg thats done baja 1000 15 times in his life running on sunday. :thumbsup:

That's a tough dude.

Pete Treadwell #487 Veteran NW fast guy and WPS big wig went down hard in the dust at the start and got pummeled. His current residence is Spokane general where he is recovering from 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and various deep lacerations. But he is OK and recovering. I guess the other guy involved also took a Helo ride, don't know his status. Get well Meat.

#113 right? I was helping a friend pit for his boy and a couple of friends, and was next to your wife and the pissy pants crew.

I took off after everyone in our group was accounted for, glad you made it out OK.

that was me tail between legs

Wow great stories here guys :thumbsup:

Heres my wrap up.

Tuesday it occured to me that I had no plans the following weekend (you know you've been caught up with work, then realize "crap i have free time coming up!) So i talk to my girlfriend Leslie, and ask her if shes interested in going dirtbiking. She said she would be, so we had 2 riders, 1 supermoto, and thats all. Wednesday after work i convert my yz426SM back to the dirt model set up, and get gear together, Thursday I pick up a friends crf230, friday after work we load up and arrive in Soap Lake, (great little town by the way) at 9pm.

Leslie just started riding street (a drz400 supermoto), about 2 months ago, and had only ridden my little 1977 GT80 enduro bike, and a 03 ttr125 w/ gooey messed up carburator.

The dad/bf kicks in, and even though i know i'll be putting, I'd rather be putting in the desert with 2,000 other bikes than at a HOME SHOW, or something grand, that most guys dread. Im on 2 wheels w/ the gf, and shes determined to make the whole poker run. She had a real tough time at the first rock climb. As stated, a whole bunch of bikes were on their sides, and the road was clogged. A guy was nice enough to ride leslie's bike up a side hill, and we got moving. From there she used second, third, and even fourth gear, and it was pretty smooth sailing. The only downfall to the whole event was that we were about to mile 30 of 35 and i could feel my bike getting hot. The lovely cooked oil, or hot running motor with high idle feeling. I try not to tell her the bikes overheating because we're putting along in 2nd gear at 10mph and my bike wants to be ridden hard... but thankfully the finish line was ahead. I cant believe we got to ride a great course, got a hotdog and juice, and a tshirt for 25 dollars. Truely a class act had by all. I thanked as many volunteers, and medics as I could. My hope is that each and every person there felt appreciated. I know everyone i talked too was as happy as you could be (with exception to the dust). Best of all, the gf had a great time, wants to purchase a dirtbike, and loved posting photos of her with the finishline. Now i know how dads feel......well, kinda :lol:

My only suggestion would be to move the start/finish area a bit further away from the parking lot. It was so dusty at the end of the day, we were all wearing our goggles, JUST to pick up our tshirt, and load up the truck. We couldnt see a thing otherwise.

OK, so I guess my story starts a couple of weeks ago when I decided to put on the 340 kit for my '94 KLX250r that I've had sitting on the shelf for a month or so. I rounded up a set of KLX300 cases, a gasket and seal kit, and then dove in.

The change over/ rebuild went smoothly and I had it re-assembled and back in the bike in about a week. Then came time to start it...... after some carb fiddling I got the beast to life. Spent a few minutes cruising around the yard doing second and third gear wheelies and feeling pretty good. Had to put it away to do some family duties..... the next day when I got back to it something definitely was not right.:thumbsup: It would not start and was really difficult to kick, pulled the plug and found water!:lol:

So after moping a bit I pulled it apart to find what happened. I got a new head gasket on order and began checking everything out very carefully. Eventually I discovered the cooling ports in the '94 head were just to close to an 84mm bore to seal properly.

Well I sucked it up and bought a later model head off E-bay, once I had it in my hands I could tell this would make the difference. Re-assembled again and kicked it to life. I managed to deal with all the small issues and put a few heat cycles and two oil changes (had to get rid of the water) before thurs night.

Well, my buddy was kind enough after hearing what I was doing to load up a spare DRZ400 into his trailer just in case.

Happily I did not need his spare, my KLX did great! We rode the dual sport ride on saturday and rode over 150 miles:ride:

Next year I think I'd like to try the race.....

Pete Treadwell #487 Veteran NW fast guy and WPS big wig went down hard in the dust at the start and got pummeled. His current residence is Spokane general where he is recovering from 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and various deep lacerations. But he is OK and recovering. I guess the other guy involved also took a Helo ride, don't know his status. Get well Meat.

any update?

I wonder if he was the guy I saw cartwheel where the start crosses part of the course before the uphill to the bomb. There was only one guy involved so most likely it wasn't him. His bike flipped so violently I can't even imagine that he couldn't be hurt. The poor bike cartwheeled 4+ times so that should give you an idea of the speed he was travelling. I hope the guy is OK. Anyone else see it? It was right to the right of the trail where most of the fast guys line up to try and get the holeshot.

Hayshaker and myself were first responders to the two downed riders that everyone saw cartwheeling, incleading Treadwell by the main line for poker run start. That area has a nasty g-out that sends riders over the bars if not prepared for it.

I called in the EMT's that arrived after the bulk of the 1st wave start passed. Matt Webb, owner of Webb Powersports saw the whole thing and was kind enough to clear the bikes out and pick up the parts.

As far as we know, they are recovering but do not have updates on condition.

I'm thinking the guy was on either a white honda or a white yamaha two stroke but I could be wrong. I saw a pic of two stumpies around a guy in the approximate area but i'm not sure if that was him or not. It gives me chills just thinking about it...

My bike suffered a massive transmission failure just four weeks prior to the Dez.. Then with my bike, almost together, I find more OEM only parts that need to be rush shipped.. Get the parts, get the YZ together and wrapped up late Friday night.. Fighting some kind of chest infection, I was still unsure if Id run the 100 or just be a pit monkey!!

After a quick test ride on the YZ, I decided the bike was ready and willing, but I was not.. Ten or so miles into the poker run, Im overcome by coughing and near exhaustion.. Milk my way through the remainder and finish unscathed.. :lol:

This was my first Dez 100 that I wasnt racing by my own choice, so I took the opportunity to sip some fine beverages and relax the afternoon away.. Helped some of my crew get their bikes ready, took a little nap.. A lil DS on the XR650R, and just general R + R..

Sunday AM, its almost race time.. The boys all got their bikes ready and squared away.. All together, Im pitting for three riders and a team.. So I get the truck full of wheels, gas cans and tools and head to the pit row!! Get set up and head back to camp to grab the XR so I dont have to walk.. Its all about relaxing right :lol: Take the XR down to the start to grab jackets from my riders, when the cannon comes rolling by.. "Get ready, its about to.... START???" "Go Man, GO!!!"

We had one rider come in in the top 20 or so with two flats... :) Got wheels swapped out, gassed up, filter skin and goggles and back out on the track in about 5 minutes :) He ended up top 30 or so O/A.... :thumbsup: Two other riders didnt fare so well.. No serious problems, but tough rides for them..

And the story of the weekend from our camp... :lol: We had two riders running team together as they do every year.. However, the last couple years "Rider A" has started for them.. Well, this year, "Rider B" started for the team and found the reknowned "Hole" about half way down the bomb start close to the pits side of the start.. I didnt see it but heard it was an EPIC get off, coincidentally filmed by a mutual friend. Long story short, he was runnin top 5 ish toward the flags when he crested a small hill and found the "hole" at the bottom of the other side.. Bad time for my buddy, and Ive never seen or heard something quite like this..

But have any of you guys ever crashed so hard, SO HARD that you pooped in your riding pants ??? :) Oh yah, true story...

Rider shall remain nameless to protect his identity.. :lol:

did he cartwheel? i wonder if it was the guy i saw.

He was on the second wave.. Runnin top five closer toward camp, ridin a Honda... And from what I was told, yes.. His bike cart wheeled quite a distance.. :thumbsup:

He's ok BTW.. Just some bumps, bruises, and a busted Ego.. :lol:

Mitch pooped himself :lol:

:thumbsup: Try again, Ride..

He is part of our normal crew tho, and no.. It wasnt me or Mitch :lol: