Sign in to follow this  

did I get the correct helicoil??

who here has installed helicoils?? I bought some M10x1.0 coils for my xr 80 plugs and they look to be too big. I went to a local store and he had some M10 and they screwed on to the plug, but the ones I ordered are pretty big and just slide over the threads. Is something wrong here? Do they tighten as you fit them into the new hole in the head? The guy in the store was not too knowledgeable and they wanted over $100 for the kit - but I got 10 from an ebay seller of helicoils for $20 - but the little bag is not labeled so I can't tell if I have the right ones or not!

it took two weeks to get these here and my son is getting pretty upset his bike is still not running. help would be appreciated!

I just watched some installation videos on youtube and the coil looks like it should be snug on the plug and fit snug into the new tapped hole without being compressed too much so I am assuming I have the wrong coils.

a five minute job with a $5 piece is 👍

So what size tap should I have for the right helicoil to go in??

Thanks

The helicoil is a kit with a drill, a tap, and a Heliocoil tool to install the insert. Buy an insert kit. Inserts are sold in packages. The inserts do have some spring so they will fit tight in the refurbished hole.

Hardware stores such as Home Depot and Harbor Freight sell kits, they are also available on eBay.

the problem is that here in Canada the kits are over $100 while I can buy a coil for about $2 - so it's a no brainer which method I will be going if I can just find some one who knows what tap is needed. You do not need an installation tool on a head as you actually put it in from the inside.

So anyone know what tap it is for a M10 x 1.0 mm?

thanks

I believe it is a special tap. You will run into this alot as the thread for the outter portion of the coil is a non standard size and is driven off the inside thread pitch. Basically you have a detirmined coil wire thickness, so the outter thread grows 2X the thickness of the wire and has the same thread pitch as the inner thread..... Kind of a biatch to wrap your head around, but think about it for one minute. The wire has a specific pitch to it and it is symetrical meaning one side is the same as the otherside. So, if you wrap a coil for a specific thread on the inside, the outside is the same number of threads per inch and the same mirrored thread just 2 times the thickness of the wire used that gives it its outside diameter...

There are cases that the thread is the same a common tape, but there are only a few. Typically the tap is going to be thread specific...

Sorry, just order a correct kit and be done with it, that or simply buy a used head and swap the good parts, atuclly might be cheaper than fixing the thread....