Sign in to follow this  

Rear Brake Pads

In 25 hrs of riding I have worn through two new sets of oem brake pads for my 09 crf450. I use a lot of rear brake but this seems like excessive wear, tough the rotor isnt warped. I ride near a riverbed with sand, could that be causing the wear? Is th there a pad out there with good stopping power and a longer life?

In 25 hrs of riding I have worn through two new sets of oem brake pads for my 09 crf450. I use a lot of rear brake but this seems like excessive wear, tough the rotor isnt warped. I ride near a riverbed with sand, could that be causing the wear? Is th there a pad out there with good stopping power and a longer life?

Does your right pad wear significantly quicker than your left? My right pad, the one by the piston, shows much more wear than the left. On the first set, I thought maybe my caliper just wasn't floating properly so I messed with it a little bit. However, I'm almost through another set now and the right pad is worn much more than the left again. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Does your right pad wear significantly quicker than your left? My right pad, the one by the piston, shows much more wear than the left. On the first set, I thought maybe my caliper just wasn't floating properly so I messed with it a little bit. However, I'm almost through another set now and the right pad is worn much more than the left again. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Grease the caliper pins.

The OEM pads are excellent. Sand is hard on pads. To get more life out of them, they would have to be a harder compound, which shortens the rotor life.

i think its a honda thing, cause i have that same problem. my cousins 06 had the same problem. messed w the calipers, but still wore out quicker on the piston side

if one side is wearing quicker the caliper pins need to/ have to be greased so the pad will slide on them. i had the same problem with my 06 i just greased everytime i oiled my chain and i also put a solid rotor on the back that way no mud or sand could get to the center of my pads. i switched to Braking pads and with all that i havent had a problem with wearing fast.

Grease the caliper pins.

They are, and the pads are wearing evenly. I noticed that my front pads only had about 1/16 of material. I guess I am really hard on my brakes. This is my first dirtbike so Im still figuring things out.

They are, and the pads are wearing evenly. I noticed that my front pads only had about 1/16 of material. I guess I am really hard on my brakes. This is my first dirtbike so Im still figuring things out.

Nothing wears brake pads faster than mud and wet sand. If you ride in those conditions, be prepared to go through some parts. Solid rotors will prolong pad life in mud but diminish braking power.

Nothing wears brake pads faster than mud and wet sand. If you ride in those conditions, be prepared to go through some parts. Solid rotors will prolong pad life in mud but diminish braking power.

Its not wet sand. And to be honest there are only two turns that have sand in the berms. Most of it is a very fine powder. I ride in the same area with my ATV and am far more aggressive with the brakes and I wear through those oem pads after 50+hrs of riding.

Sounds like you are riding the brakes on your CRF. I purposely drag the rear brakes in many rough and technical places on the track to keep the bike tracking straight. It's a technique I learned from Gary Bailey. This means I go through pads pretty quick too. I normally get about 25 hours out of them on prepared race tracks.

The new fancy wave rotors (2008+) eat through pads about 10 times faster than the older -2007 rotors. The pads are identical for all the years however. I went back to the old style rotors and the pads last me a whole season as compared to 3 or 4 sets a season with the new rotors. 👍

The oem nissin pads imho are absolute crap. I went through a few rear sets on mine in literally 4 hours each set.

I switched to ebc mxs sintered and they work just as good if not better than oem and last 10 times as long. They do take a bit longer to bed in though.

The oem nissin pads imho are absolute crap. I went through a few rear sets on mine in literally 4 hours each set.

I switched to ebc mxs sintered and they work just as good if not better than oem and last 10 times as long. They do take a bit longer to bed in though.

Interesting. My experience is just the opposite. I've always had good wear and excellent braking with the OEM pads, and the EBC MXS pads I tried wore out quickly and didn't modulate as well as OEM. Do you ride in the mud a lot? I ride four hours a week and I would be going through a lot of brake pads if they only lasted four hours.

That's just it, I ride a fair amount of mud being in New England. Not everyday by any means but at least once a week I'll get a good mud bath.

I do agree with you though CamP, the stocker's modulate far better than the ebc's which are more like an on-off switch. You get a bit of squeal as well, but they are not any harder on rotors.

I have about 20 hrs. or so on the ebc's right now, they still measure new actually.

Interesting. My experience is just the opposite. I've always had good wear and excellent braking with the OEM pads, and the EBC MXS pads I tried wore out quickly and didn't modulate as well as OEM. Do you ride in the mud a lot? I ride four hours a week and I would be going through a lot of brake pads if they only lasted four hours.

My guess is CamP that you had the RED backing EBC pads. These are organic, and have a softer "feel" but wear faster. The Extreme Pro sintered pads (goldish color backing/gold material color) wear much longer but as someone mentioned do take some heat from a few good snubs to work.

Try EBC brand pads, get the MXS model of pad (rear only, never tried anything but stock pads on front). They outlast stock rear pads by a huge margin, you lose a little of the great stock honda brake feel, but I feel the extra pad life is worthwhile. Also try a rear Galfer wave rotor, solid disc (no holes), pads will last 6 months or more!!