Sign in to follow this  

04 250 EXC leaking coolant

just bought an 04 250 EXC that has 45 hours on it and has been mostly sitting in a garage for the last few years. it even had the original tires on it still.

anyways, went through the whole bike and when i took the radiator cap off there was some depsit build up and i cleaned it up, flushed the radiators and put it back together.

when i run the bike and it warms up, coolant comes out of the left radiator out of the over flow tube at the top. I am guessing due to age and some of the deposits that the seals on the cap may be bad and not sealing 100% causing coolant to be pushed out the overflow once heat/pressure build up.

looked at the FAQs and didnt see anything about this. i also checked the thermostat and put it in hot water and saw it was opening and closing so i can rule that out.

other than that the bike is good to go but i cant go ride it until i figure this out.

thanks,

Jason

you are on the right track what with the corrosion you found, Use a wire brush to clean the cap area of the rad til it feels smooth with finger tip and maybe a new cap if you cant get it clean. If that isnt it then it may be a leak in a gasket at the head or cyl pushing it out,