Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy a '06 KX125?

My nephew has outgrown his CR85R....and we've decided to upgrade him to a 125 2-stroke.

A fellow I know casually, (just a friend of a friend) has an '06 KX125 for sale at $3000 CDN (Canadian), that seems to be in decent shape. New sprockets/o-Ring chain, clean engine and the like. Few cosmetic issues like needing grips, a slightly cracked shroud (though I believe he has spares that will come with the bike), and a slightly munged footpeg (usable for the moment). Needs new rubber too. Nothing that is a big deal and I'm sure I can get the price down to account for this.

Of course, I would have to ride the bike and make sure everything was in working order (easy to do, since I ride a 2-smoke and do my own wrenching), but just didn't have time last night to do that.

I was initially looking for a YZ125, since I ride a YZ250 ('06), which makes maintenance a bit easier (eg. common parts, common service manual, familiarity, etc.).

So was wondering how good the '06 KX125 is, compared to a contemporary YZ125?

What is parts availability like from Kawasaki? They stopped making 2-smokes in '07, right? What about reliability, ride and the like?

Any/all input to help me make a decision, pro or con, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

suspensionwise I would prefer the YZ due to its closed cartridge forks....

suspensionwise I would prefer the YZ due to its closed cartridge forks....

What's the Kawie use on the KX125? I'm not familiar with Kawasaki's....though I do like the Kayaba forks on my YZ250.

Not sure that it will matter that much, since my nephew is not a "pro racer". I see this 125 as a transition bike that will have more power and performance than his CR85R. If/when he gets more serious about it, then we would likely upgrade him to something else (maybe a 4-stroke...ugh!) if he needs it to be competitive, but for now, even non-cartridge forks, so long as they work OK, should do the trick.

What's the Kawie use on the KX125? I'm not familiar with Kawasaki's....though I do like the Kayaba forks on my YZ250.

old style open bath cartridge Kayabas.

just wanted to mention that...

seems a little high for an 06, mines a 04 but the engine is all new and i got it for 2,000 i'd sell it for 1,500