Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy a '06 KX125 instead of a YZ125?

Cross-posted from the KX 2-smoke forum, since I figure there may be riders here familiar with both the Kawie and Yammie 125 2-smokes that could give me some advice....Thx! ....A

My nephew has outgrown his CR85R....and we've decided to upgrade him to a 125 2-stroke.

A fellow I know casually, (just a friend of a friend) has an '06 KX125 for sale at $3000 CDN (Canadian), that seems to be in decent shape. New sprockets/o-Ring chain, clean engine and the like. Few cosmetic issues like needing grips, a slightly cracked shroud (though I believe he has spares that will come with the bike), and a slightly munged footpeg (usable for the moment). Needs new rubber too. Nothing that is a big deal and I'm sure I can get the price down to account for this.

Of course, I would have to ride the bike and make sure everything was in working order (easy to do, since I ride a 2-smoke and do my own wrenching), but just didn't have time last night to do that.

I was initially looking for a YZ125, since I ride a YZ250 ('06), which makes maintenance a bit easier (eg. common parts, common service manual, familiarity, etc.).

So was wondering how good the '06 KX125 is, compared to a contemporary YZ125?

What is parts availability like from Kawasaki? They stopped making 2-smokes in '07, right? What about reliability, ride and the like?

Any/all input to help me make a decision, pro or con, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Parts availability should not be a problem for either bike, as long as the dealer is a partner with either company.

Reliability with the YZ is very rock solid, I'm assuming that kawi is the same.

I think the big questions here are how they both compare, and I would find out if the Kawi has the same type of SSS suspension that the 06 YZ has that is supposed to be the best of the best for a stock bike.

3000$ is a fair price for the canadian market, I paid 3700$ for my 05 250...

I know blackfoot here in Calgary has a yz125 09 brand new never ridden for 5500$! That's quite a bit more money but never been ridden...

Look around in the classifieds and see what you can get a yz125 for in the meantime while some of your questions are slowly answered here in the thread by other members.

Definately not, go with the yammie

I think the big questions here are how they both compare, and I would find out if the Kawi has the same type of SSS suspension that the 06 YZ has that is supposed to be the best of the best for a stock bike.

Not sure that the suspension is that critical for us, so long as it's not "crap" of course. The 125 will be a transition bike....if my nephew gets into the riding/racing more seriously than he is right now, then by the time his riding skills improve past the point of what a KX125 (or YZ125) can offer, it will be time to upgrade him yet again. Not like he's a pro racer or anything, and the suspension has gotta be much better than the CR85R regardless of the brand.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments...much appreciated Brent!

I had an '04 KX 125 and now have an '06 YZ 125 both good bikes but there is more after market support for the YZ and the KX 125 does not have SSS forks it is the older KYB bladder forks and they are harsh feeling compared to my YZ's I also find the YZ motor was alittle stronger but it's more mid/top where the KX was more bottom/mid it pulls hard through the top but it flattens out earlier then the YZ.

Clutch pull is easier on the KX and the front brake is stronger the bike is not very tall sort of a short compact style chassis so it corners really good and its very whipable feeling still pretty stable but the stock suspenion will dance n shake over braking or acceleration bumps with the occasional harshness jolt transfered back through the bars.

YZ wins in suspenion no contest, handling wise it can do everything the KX did cept for get the real wicked lean angles in corners thanks to the KX being a small chassis it feels smaller so being short at 5'5" it gave me a ton of confidence in the corners.

The YZ is a taller bike so sometimes I feel the tallness in the corners but I'm so used to YZ's now I don't notice it no more but if you jumped off the KX on to the YZ you would feel like you went from a 100 to a 125. You notice the KX's extra 10 lbs over the YZ's when you go to lift it on the stand but the KX motor is basically a YZ copy!

The kx is weak where the rear linkage attaches tot he frame. If you hoe to be riding the bike 3 years form now, withotu a frame replacement, you need the yz.

However, the kx is a great bike if you keep on top of the maintenance.

The 125 will be a transition bike....if my nephew gets into the riding/racing more seriously than he is right now, then by the time his riding skills improve past the point of what a KX125 (or YZ125) can offer, it will be time to upgrade him yet again. Not like he's a pro racer or anything, and the suspension has gotta be much better than the CR85R regardless of the brand.

I haven't seen any local racers that I thought have skills that exceed what a 125 has to offer. just sayin

If its an 06 then I guess Canadia got them and we didn't. 06 would be the same as the 05 which would also be the same as the 04. I had an 05, great bike, amazing handling, slow as molasses. Other than the slowness it was a really good bike. The 03+ kawis are very well built and I've had many of them and they've held up the best out of the other Honda's and Suzukis that I've had. The 04 Kawi's also copied the Yamaha style linkage so it shouldn't really be a problem.

With that said... the YZ is a much better bike. Better suspension and most importantly a better motor. Keep looking would be my advise.

I think the general consensus here is the YZ if the price is the same or similar. But if they're asking another 1000$ for a YZ of the same year I'd stick with the Kawi.

The fork differences between your 85 and a newer bike should be much better. Usually the smaller 80/85 series have a smaller diameter fork and/or only compression dampers. Should be a nice upgrade but don't quote me on that cause I don't know too much about the 85's.

i have a kx125 and i am anti-yamaha, i've hated them and always will but when it comes down to two strokes there all the same, there very simple. i'd honestly go with which ever ones cheapest.

They are not the same..not even close. Kawasaki built a good engine, finally (Yamaha copy), for the 2003-2005 era, but the chassis, and suspension, was stuck back in the 2000's. Poor materials and lousy durability. Yes, good engine, yes, bad everything else.

You'll find better Kawasaki prices..for a reason. Go back and look at the shootouts. Kawasaki always finished low.

id say find a yamaha. i went from a 05 kawi 250 2t to a 05 yz125. hands down the yamaha had better handling better suspention, beter ergonomics period. the kx rattled your balls off it vibrated so bad. the yamaha is a perfect bike for what your looking for. i would say go 05 or newer on the yamaha. (aluminum frame)

The price seems good. Kawies are not as durable as Yammies, they tend to become loose pretty fast. Of course if he's not going to race it, it will do the job. Parts availability is an issue with Kawasaki Canada though. I've still got parts on order for my 01 KX125 (I sold it in October 2001).

Clutch pull is easier on the KX and the front brake is stronger the bike is not very tall sort of a short compact style chassis so it corners really good and its very whipable feeling still pretty stable but the stock suspenion will dance n shake over braking or acceleration bumps with the occasional harshness jolt transfered back through the bars.

YZ wins in suspenion no contest, handling wise it can do everything the KX did cept for get the real wicked lean angles in corners thanks to the KX being a small chassis it feels smaller so being short at 5'5" it gave me a ton of confidence in the corners.

The YZ is a taller bike so sometimes I feel the tallness in the corners but I'm so used to YZ's now I don't notice it no more but if you jumped off the KX on to the YZ you would feel like you went from a 100 to a 125. You notice the KX's extra 10 lbs over the YZ's when you go to lift it on the stand but the KX motor is basically a YZ copy!

I agree 100%. I have an 03 kx125 and 05 yz125. The kx builds confindence in the corners but struggles with harsh bumps. I am also struggling to get the motor running strong at the bottom end. If you're willing to spend some good money on suspension upgrades, it's unbeatable.

The yz feels bigger and taller. It's not as nimble in the corners, yet the suspension is light years ahead of the kawasaki. My yz has vforce reeds, a pro circuit pipe, and a ported cylinder so the engine rips for a 125. It's just as fast if not faster than my old 07 250f.

Thanks for all the info guys.

We found a decent 06 KX125 and bought it, since I was not having any luck finding a decent used YZ125.

My nephew is thrilled. Moving up from a CR85R to the KX125 has improved his riding a lot. He's hitting and clearing jumps he would never have tried last year on the smaller bike, and running faster than I want to go.

Ah...to be 16 again and invulnerable! 👍

I would recommend getting a Vforce V3 for the bike and the Pro circuit pipe for it. The V3 made my '04 throttle responce alittle more snappier and the PC pipe let it rev out harder into the over rev.

I would also recommend a glide / skid plate and never ride it with your toes pointed down I've felt my feet rub the ground when the bike was fully bottomed out more then once!

Suspenion could use a good revalve also! yes I even had the full billet Pro circuit linkage on mine spend the cash on a revalve!

both good bikes! but i think the yamaha has better "stock parts" then the kawi. it just seems to hold up better and it offers more aftermarket opportunities.