Sign in to follow this  

Decisions decisions,,,too many kx250s to choose from

Looking for some guidence here, I have narrowed my search down to three bikes and need some advice first is a totally redone 98 KX250, second is a 2001 KX250 and last is an 2005 KX250 which is within $500 of the other 2 bikes. How much techonolgy has changed between the three? Please forgive me as I normally ride a Honda XR650L as a dual sport which has not changed at all in 15 years or so. Just looking for a 2 smoker to play in the dirt!

The 05 hands down. Has a much better chassis and suspension, and the engine is just as brutal (if not more) than the 98.

The 98 and 01 are pretty much the same as far as the chassis goes, cartridge fork, old chassis, old engine design. The 98 has awesome power. Parts are readily available for the 98 and 01. In fact, alot of parts will swap between 94 and 04.

The 05 is a much nicer bike IMO. I have all 3 of those models you listed: 94, 00 and 05. I have had no problems with my 05. Mt 2000 had mushy front brakes and the rear suspension linkages on the 98/01 are the weak spot, mainly the lower shock bearing. You'll need to service those. Other than that, the 98/01 has a very reliable engine. The 05 will need some carb tuning.