Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Replacement...OEM or Aftermarket?

I managed to bend my front rim on my 2006 YZ 125, although I don't know how I did it???? My current wheels are stock and pretty scratched up but I just replaced the front bearings.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a ton and I am no expert rider or anything. My choices are:

1) Brand new G-force Richter front and rear wheels in matte black with black hubs for $500. No tires or tubes or anything.

2) Used 2006 OEM YZ 125 wheels and tires in literally new condition with original stock tires. These are ready to bolt on after I put my rotors and sprocket on them. Price is $500

What do you think I should do???

Thanks.

Get the OEM ones. they're Excel's and they're tough to beat for weight vs. strength. also if you ride any sand or gravelly stuff the black won't last really long on cheaper aftermarket rims.

just my .02

Thanks for the reply. The 2006 model year actually uses DID rims as stock. That is what came on my bike and that is what the used wheels are that I am looking at.

I ride MX tracks 99% of the time if that makes a difference. I am leaning towards the OEM pair for mental reasons...I dunno, plus I am ready for new tires and these have them.

The black would look sweet but won't I need to get new tires, tubes, rimlocks, mount and balance, etc.? What do you suppose the total cost would be if I bought the new wheels for $500 and brought them to the dealer to have decent tires mounted and balanced?

Do people balance their tires? I assume the pro's do but normal joes?

Also why cant u re-use the rim lock and tubes from ur old rims?

Replace the rim. The front is EASY. I bet you can do it for a hundred assuming spokes are ok.

If you order one and ship it to me, I ll lace it up...no charge. I need a project since Eric Gorr squashed my power project! I even have spare front spokes.....so dont be afraid to send it my way.

the '06 should have excells, I know my '06 has them. If you do have the older DID rims I would look for a stock excell wheel, or you can buy a new rim for $100-120. If RC will hook you up, you have it made. I just bought a complete '06 excell wheel for $150 on ebay, but I havent seen it yet, so it could be good or bad.

the '06 should have excells, I know my '06 has them. If you do have the older DID rims I would look for a stock excell wheel, or you can buy a new rim for $100-120. If RC will hook you up, you have it made. I just bought a complete '06 excell wheel for $150 on ebay, but I havent seen it yet, so it could be good or bad.

The subject of DID or Excel rims being stock on 06 YZ125s has been discussed before. The folks who bought their 2006 YZ 125 brand new have confirmed that DID is the OEM for model year 2006 YZ 125. I am fine with the brand as my understanding is that the DID and Excel wheels are virtually the same in all aspects of quality, finish, etc.

My bike needs a fresh set of rubber right now as well and the used wheels I am looking at for $500 have almost new Dunlop D756 tires on them. These are good tires IMO.

If I buy them, I will take up RC on his offer and send him the old front wheel with a new rim for him to lace up. Then I will have two sets of wheels which will be nice.

I really was just curious if you guys thought buying brand new aftermarket G-Force wheels in fashionable black would be a better choice but it seems most think I should just keep it stock. If I don't get the DIDs, I will keep looking for a mint set of wheels that fit like the Excels.

RC: Thanks, that is a very generous offer. Let me know if you ever need anything heating and air conditioning related for your home including free online diagnostics from me as you are too far for me to make a service call:smirk:👍

The subject of DID or Excel rims being stock on 06 YZ125s has been discussed before. The folks who bought their 2006 YZ 125 brand new have confirmed that DID is the OEM for model year 2006 YZ 125.

OK, I guess yammi used up the did wheels on the 125, my only first hand experience is with the 250's and the 450.

I have held the g-force wheels, and warp 9. RMATV and warp 9 are local to us here in UT. I feel they are decent wheels and a good deal on a new wheel set, but I still think the factory yamaha wheels are the way to go. My personal experience has been that the DID wheels dent a little easier than the excells, but your results may vary.

Do people balance their tires? I assume the pro's do but normal joes?

Also why cant u re-use the rim lock and tubes from ur old rims?

It is a waste of time to balance a mx wheel. The second you get mud stuck to it, it will be out of balance.

MAX!!!

Replace the rim. The front is EASY. I bet you can do it for a hundred assuming spokes are ok.

If you order one and ship it to me, I ll lace it up...no charge. I need a project since Eric Gorr squashed my power project! I even have spare front spokes.....so dont be afraid to send it my way.

You just got your 295 back, what were you trying to have Eric do for you now?

If I ship my bike to you will you replace ALL the bearings? 👍

MAX!!!

The subject of DID or Excel rims being stock on 06 YZ125s has been discussed before. The folks who bought their 2006 YZ 125 brand new have confirmed that DID is the OEM for model year 2006 YZ 125. I am fine with the brand as my understanding is that the DID and Excel wheels are virtually the same in all aspects of quality, finish, etc.

My bike needs a fresh set of rubber right now as well and the used wheels I am looking at for $500 have almost new Dunlop D756 tires on them. These are good tires IMO.

If I buy them, I will take up RC on his offer and send him the old front wheel with a new rim for him to lace up. Then I will have two sets of wheels which will be nice.

I really was just curious if you guys thought buying brand new aftermarket G-Force wheels in fashionable black would be a better choice but it seems most think I should just keep it stock. If I don't get the DIDs, I will keep looking for a mint set of wheels that fit like the Excels.

RC: Thanks, that is a very generous offer. Let me know if you ever need anything heating and air conditioning related for your home including free online diagnostics from me as you are too far for me to make a service call:smirk:👍

Thank You! We cna work out of my serivce truck when you come over and use my supplies! I do almost the same thing as a living...well, we can make some awesome frozen drinks too.

Do you do Ice Makers? One of these days I'll dump the grossness of an ice maker....all of them!

Thank You! We cna work out of my serivce truck when you come over and use my supplies! I do almost the same thing as a living...well, we can make some awesome frozen drinks too.

Do you do Ice Makers? One of these days I'll dump the grossness of an ice maker....all of them!

I do only residential work...HVAC/Appliance repair, service, installs, retrofits.

The icemakers I work on are mostly in folks freezers with the occasional scottsman ice machines here and there. My website is www.allbrandservice.com