Sign in to follow this  

Yz 250 (wide) gear ratio

Hello guys,I have a yz 250 that i use for "enduro" riding (absolutely no MX!)...and there are some problems with max speed during transfer.

I know that is possible to change 4° and 5° by using WR parts gear and obtain goods results,but I don't know the WR model that has adapt gears...400,426 or 450 (???) and if there are a model years in particulars....

If someone can help me,I will be very happy to open may engine to obtain the "perfect bike"!!! 👍

I was told that pretty much any WR450 will work for gears that fit.

While we're on the subject, if you change just 4th and 5th how is the transition from 3rd to 4th?? Good, bad or bearable?

My 2001 had 3rd and fourth swapped out before I bought it. It has no discernable gaps between the gears and it goes fast enough on the top end to make your butt pucker! 👍

Why did you keep 5th, cause you never use it so what did it matter?

I'm pondering a whole WR swap, but really don't have any real good idea of what I want.

I was told that pretty much any WR450 will work for gears that fit.

According to Babbitt's parts list, these P/Ns from TT members BRM & bikedude127 came from these bikes...

Gear, 3rd Wheel 5BF-17231-00 --> WR 400 & 426

Gear, 3rd Pinion 5BF-17131-00 (or 20) --> WR 400 & 426

Gear, 4th Wheel 5BF-17241-00 --> WR 400 & 426

Gear, 4th Pinion 5BF-17141-00 (or 20) --> WR 400 & 426

Gear, 5th Wheel 5BF-17251-00 --> WR 400, 426 & 450

Gear, 5th Pinion 5BF-17151-00 --> WR 400 & 426

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...06#post4619006

This is NOT to say other WR450 parts won't work, but from THIS list only the 5th wheel is found in the 450.

It would be great if someone could verify the WR450 trans swap... 👍

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...d/default.aspx

Ok,I read links (thanks) and I understand that WR 400-426 parts are the same and there are no problem to fit in YZ 250 (gear case grinding to part,in case of sobstitution of 1st gear)....ah,my bike is a MY '06.

I like my 1st,2nd and 3rd gear,for my use these are perfect and so,I think to change only 4th and 5th...but I saw that many change all or also 3rd...

What do you think about...?

Ok,I read links (thanks) and I understand that WR 400-426 parts are the same and there are no problem to fit in YZ 250 (gear case grinding to part,in case of sobstitution of 1st gear)....ah,my bike is a MY '06.

I like my 1st,2nd and 3rd gear,for my use these are perfect and so,I think to change only 4th and 5th...but I saw that many change all or also 3rd...

good though on just the top gears.

Earlier this year, I parted out my 01 yz250 which had 1-5 wr gears. I thought it was great in the wide open parts of races or on the first loop of hare n hounds where the speeds were really high.

But in the technical enduros (hill climbs, rocks, twists and turns, etc...) I though there was too much gap between the gears for the bike to pull unless I was on the pipe all the time. You have to stay agressive. I actually had to put a slightly larger sprocket on to avoid working the clutch so much.

I actually prefer the tight gears on my 05 for technical riding. But I get absolutely killed in the open sections of a race. I guess I'm just not fast enough (yet) to fully use wr gears.

So there's always a trade off it seems.

Just my thought. Good luck with your gears.

• Like 1

Because of the way the gears mesh, you must change 3rd to mesh with 4th.. However, many have done ONLY 5th gear... 👍

Because of the way the gears mesh, you MUST change 3rd to mesh with 4th.:

Note absolutely "MUST"

I ran a 14 tooth front for a while and thought I would try a 13 with my 426 set up and really like for trails. Seems like it kept 5th about the same as before but 2nd is great for the trails and hill climbs and 1st is good for the tight step ups. I still have to slip the clutch a bunch more on my 250 than my 525 EXC. If I want to go faster I can just throw on the 14 front or hop on the 525.

Can someone enlighten me on just swapping 5th? Thank you!

Mike,

I think with the 295 setup you will really appreciate the 3-5th swap.

5th only swap has been reported as a very big jump up in gearing.

I have 1-5 to go in my 295 I cant wait. I paid 140 shipped for a complete wr400 trans

BRM I think you may be right. I like my nice tight 1-4 though. I wonder with the 295 if a 48 or 49 tooth rear would help. Coming out of the woods and realizing there is no sixthe is a bummer! LOL-