Sign in to follow this  

07 CRF450X has flat spot in throttle

Hi all, new to thumpertalk, referred by a friend. I just picked up an 07 CRF450x Honda from a friend that didn't ride it much. While riding this weekend noticed that the throttle response has a delay or flat spot at first pull. also, bike seems to want to die sometimes, right after starting it. Would you say the carb may be dirty? Is this indicative of these bikes. I would like to have a quicker throttle response if possible. The bike is completely stock with all smog and restrictions. (green sticker) What can I do to improve the throttle response and how should i open the bike up so it can breathe better? Thank you for your help. Greg:ride

you can block off the leak jet by brazing it closed which is a good place to start. my friend has the same bike and did that and there is a mod you can do to the emissions components. i'm not sure what it entails but i do know he pulled it apart and blocked it off with jb weld. more research would be neccesary for that modification though.

How do I go about blocking off the leak jet, or should i take it in to have it done?

Thanks, Greg

you can solder it shut,put a small ball bearing under it or use the appropriate size metric set screw.

Check out the 450x Forums...

I ride and race a '07X

On this bike make sure the following is done... it's quite important....As it comes dangerously lean from the Factory..And it runs like crap, is hard to start and stalls out allll the time... not to metion it boils over...

But with a little know how the bike can be converted into a really smooth machine.

Re-jet; Main jet, Needle, fuel screw usually 1 1/2 - 2 turns out.

Block off the smog kit (JB weld it, or get smog block off kit)

Cut the baffle in the muffler

Cut the top of the airbox off.

You can also throw in a 50 or 55 Leak jet or pick up a accelerator pump.

If you have questions on how to do this come down to the 450x forums, there's alllllll kinds of instructions and how-to's (along with proper jetting based on elevation).

Cheers,