Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 250 clutch repair question

Hey guys,

I am doing the fix for the RMZ shifting problem, I have done a ton of searching and have read a ton of threads but I still have a question. Do I need to replace all the plates too and do I need to get an 08 basket? I will be replacing the detent spring, wave washer, washer, prawl and also puting on the plate from the 07 RM250.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

i have changed the plates in my bike and have gotten away with just changing the fiber plates. if you have the money its nice to change both but you should be fine just dealing with the fibers.

These stock baskets do wear out quickly and will result in shorter clutch life, if your swapping it out Hinson is the recommended brand to replace the stock basket. I've got my bike saved on motosport.com and the third best selling product for it is this one basket.

I have to do the same repair on my '07. I have done a ton of research myself and see that many guys have done all the above and still had the "jumping out of gear" problem.

A friend of mine had same problem and just had the gears undercut and problem gone!

I am going to skip all the springs and plates and go straight to that.

How are you guy so hard on your clutches. The plates are useable parts (wear out). We have 165 hours on our 08 with a 290 kit and the clutch basket/ inter hub/ presser plate are still in good shape. NO!!! don't try to say I need to learn to ride. This bike is ridden by my son (19 yr old) that rides expert open classes....

It's not that we are hard on the clutches it's a common issue with 04 to 07 RMZ 250's. The bike can either jump out of gear or false neutral.

It's not that we are hard on the clutches it's a common issue with 04 to 07 RMZ 250's. The bike can either jump out of gear or false neutral.

But jumping out of gear or fause neutral have nothing to do with the clutch....

Thier are a few clutch mods that are suposed to help with the false neutrals.....switching the wave washer, detent spring etc..with the 08 ones. If you do a search about false neutrals you will find a ton of threads on it. I found one that had a parts list with part #'s, some guys say it works others say it does'nt. Others say undercutting the gears works best. Just going to do the cheaper one first.

Wave washer and fibers was the recommended repair for the clutch plates that were breaking. The detent spring was the update to stop the false nuetrals. I replaced 2clutch fibers and wave washer and that cured that problem. I updated the detent spring and that problem is also fixed.