Sign in to follow this  

YZ85 as an adult flat-track play bike?

Is a YZ85 too much of a handful for low-traction flat tracking adult play dates? Can it be made quiet enough to run in the backyard without upsetting the neighbors?

I own a modded YZ250 and have enjoyed two stroke power for years, I just wonder if a 85 without a power valve will have smooth enough low-mid to predictably slide around turns.

The standard bike for these adult play dates is an XR100. It's a little small and I hate four strokes, but I realize the wimpy power delivery can be an asset.

Should I get a TTR-125L instead?

Here's what I want to do:

833213820_SYjp6-M.jpg

Warehouse flat track on polished concrete

745957103_uQKvZ-M.jpg

Backyard flat track on watered dirt

Man, that warehouse flat-track sure looks fun. What happens when someone overshoots a turn and goes into a pallet?

You can build a yz85 into anything you want. Have the cylinder base cut (cheap mod) and run a heavy flywheel weight. You will have a smooth yet powerful motor. It will eat xr100's for lunch.

The yz85 makes a fine flattrack bike. My son won a few local champoinships on his.

fast on the clay banked tracks of 1/5,1/4,1/3 mile. AND plenty good on concrete short track we run in Dec.

BUT as an adult as far as i know you will ot have a class to run in. Youth 7-11 , and 12-15 years old.

Where we race there is a 100 4strk adult , and the adult pit bike classes ( indoor concrete shorttrack only)

For flattrack , you would not lower the cynd. But instead bring a big hammer ( HP) because its a mod class and a majority are very mod.

Additionaly ,,

those knobbed tire machines you are riding ........... not good. You gonna get hurt, those knobbie tire things ( that seem to be very popular , strange ) are very unpredictable!

You need to get some Maxis D/T tires, THEN you can speed up.

On concrete instead of the 7lb steel shoe ,, we use carpet scraps duct taped to boot.

PS> the ttr125 would be kinda slowish IMO

Adult play bike, no racing. (Yeah right!)

I know a YZ85 will destroy an XR100 or CRF150. I don't care; I want something that I can back in, control the slide with the throttle, and not get too out of shape on the corner exit.

The knobbies stuck the best on polished concrete. Granted, there were no true DT tires, but there were some street/dual sport tires and they were no good. The theory is the knobbies flex more and generate more heat and/or have stickier rubber. The CRF150 with the Michelin Starcross knobbies had too much traction. The XR80 with street tires was utterly unrideable.

What happens when someone overshoots a turn and goes into a pallet?

Everybody holds their breath and reaches for the nearest fire extinguishers. Most of the products are flammable: lacquer, etc.

In stock form, it has a light switch power band. Read this out loud to get the full effect of how it works:

"Oh ok, this isn't so bad"

<twist throttle a little bit>

"AAAAAAAAAAAH POWER BAND"

<twist throttle another little bit>

"Time to shift"

And repeat that for all the gears.

Also they are pretty loud too.

Adult play bike, no racing. (Yeah right!)

I know a YZ85 will destroy an XR100 or CRF150. I don't care; I want something that I can back in, control the slide with the throttle, and not get too out of shape on the corner exit.

The knobbies stuck the best on polished concrete. Granted, there were no true DT tires, but there were some street/dual sport tires and they were no good. The theory is the knobbies flex more and generate more heat and/or have stickier rubber. The CRF150 with the Michelin Starcross knobbies had too much traction. The XR80 with street tires was utterly unrideable.

Everybody holds their breath and reaches for the nearest fire extinguishers. Most of the products are flammable: lacquer, etc.

Ahhh adult PLAY bike . I sorta glanced over that part . Very Sorry .

With D/T tires you could lean much much further than w/knobbie. The lean my son gets is incredable . And YES on concrete the slightly agressive multi terrain tires suck badly( too hard) as well as the hard road race tires , they are bad and not to be confused with real dirttracking tires. Road race "rains" will work though.

IMO a yz85 with knobbies would be unridable on concrete due to the powerband you mentioned and not enough lean capibility vs predictability , but with dirttrack tires you would put a whoop'n on your buds.

My son loves the concrete series we do every year , he's now on a yz125 but he raced the yz85 inside for years. ( 7-11class then the 12-15class).

However this year he spent allot of time meeting the floor .....

good luck in your playbike vs concrete fun no matter what bike you choose !

IF i can find some pic's of our 85cc on concrete i'll postem up.

24hrsparkey

Maxis DT1 17" tire for 85cc's and xr 100's .

120/70 CD1 compound , 24" diam - 4"wide - 2.5 or 2.75 rim. $135ea

On 85's for racing its norm to have the 17x2.5 or 2.75 built / laced up.

so this may or not be overboard money wise for play riding.

Here is a pic of the bigger 125tire I couldn't dig up one of the 85cc tire, sorry.

One i special cut for the outdoor small "pony ring" tracks , the other is new and unmounted for use on clay ( luv me some clay) and indoors on concrete also.

hope this works........

125pic012.jpg

Here is a pic of my #74 indoors on his yz85 ( race series is in Dec=Brrr=smokey+fumes+sparks and plywood bashing sometimes)

IMG_7063.jpg