What do you guys wear to keep dust and soot out of your mouth?

I have been riding some silt basins and some old coal mining areas that are really dusty and after a day of riding it looks like i spray painted my face black except for where my goggles are. I am not a fan of getting that crap in my lungs and was just wondering what everyone uses protect from inhaling all that stuff. I tried a bandanna around my face but wasn't a fan. I am thinking there has to be a product out there that I just haven't found yet.

Yup, I believe that would be the N95 mask. You need something that is rated for particulates rather than gaseous fumes.

I would think it would be super uncomfortable though to wear one of those inside a helmet. Since we're talking about dust here, maybe a bandana would cut it.

There was an advertisement on TT about something that is made for this

i think it was called wolf snout or something similar

looked like a mouth/nose mask basically that is shaped to fit in your helmet

Shampa 'Billy face Mask' from Rocky Moutainatv. (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.) It's basically a light, silky material that works similar to a bandana. It has velcro to hold it on. They're pretty nice i think.

yea that's something like I was looking for, I had searched Rocky Mountain and hadn't come across it before. I wish they just sold it in a solid color though instead of all the prints. Thanks

I had thought about the dusk masks but I know when woodworking or sanding they restrict breathing more than I would like on the bike.

I know a guy who just gets a sponge and cuts it in half and puts it infront of his mouth. He says its easy to breath through and keeps all the crap out of his lungs. wears it for 2 hours at a time racing hare scrambles.

I ride the same terrain in PA and have the same problem - can you say 'black lung'? I usually have black snot coming out of my nose for the rest of the evening after a day of riding. I tried the paper dustmask but can't get it to fit well - even when I can get it to fit and stay put, my goggles fog up. I'll be looking into the options posted above.

yea that's something like I was looking for, I had searched Rocky Mountain and hadn't come across it before. I wish they just sold it in a solid color though instead of all the prints. Thanks

I had thought about the dusk masks but I know when woodworking or sanding they restrict breathing more than I would like on the bike.

I have one in solid black, so what you are looking for is available. They have a pretty wide selection of masks and pullovers.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Apparel-Cold+Weather%2FSnow&webCatId=60&navType=type&webTypeId=159&prodFamilyId=7382&listingId=&colorAttr=13

I looked on the TT store site and couldn't find their products.

Don't forget to use your Netti pot at the end of the day. Best twelve bucks you can spend. ?

And if you don't own one.....BUY ONE!

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Cough-and-Cold/Neti-Pot-Sinus-Wash/ID=prod4156467&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

I call it my nose douche.?

Pfffft. Farmer blowing black boogs in the shower is free...?

Pfffft. Farmer blowing black boogs in the shower is free... ?

But my nose isn't long enough to reach the shower head.?

I'll stick with my lil nose douche, besides my wife hates it when I call it that.

Edited by MXOldtimer

There are also those paper filters that have the exhale-check valve- that makes them a little cooler to wear.

I don't race and have never tried one, but thought it would be a good option if I ever go on a ride with a bunch of quads again.?