Sign in to follow this  

Need help 2001 KX250

When I start the bike it idles just fine with no problems. After riding it for awhile anytime I let it idle or when I pull in the clutch it revs to high hell. I checked my throttle cable it's not binding anywhere and my throttle isn't sticking. Any help would be much appreciated.

2-stroke really shouln't 'idle' ,have you checked the choke? What about needle position?

I'll check that tonight when I get home. What should I be looking for.

need to start by seeing what jettting(pilot,main and needle settting) is in the bike right now as well as oil ratio, altitude, outside temp and riding conditions.

The oil ratio is 32:1 as far as the jetting I didn't know it could cause the bike to just rev uncontrolably with the clutch in or in neutral.

How do I check the float level and when you say air leak do you mean from the intake boot or a eal in the carb?

2-stroke really shouln't 'idle'
Who told you that?

AZKX250, you problem stems from a lean pilot circuit. The issue is, what is causing the lean condition when the engine is fully warmed up? There are several possibilities:

*The pilot jet is too lean.

*The pilot jet is dirty or clogged.

*The pilot air passage in the carb body is dirty.

*There is an air leak somewhere between the carb and the cylinder.

Who told you that?

AZKX250, you problem stems from a lean pilot circuit. The issue is, what is causing the lean condition when the engine is fully warmed up? There are several possibilities:

*The pilot jet is too lean.

*The pilot jet is dirty or clogged.

*The pilot air passage in the carb body is dirty.

*There is an air leak somewhere between the carb and the cylinder.

Thanks that gives me a more narrow area to look. I appreciate it

How do I check the float level and when you say air leak do you mean from the intake boot or a eal in the carb?

If the float level is too low you could be running the bowl dry causing a lean condition. You need to remove the carb and set the height to IIRC, 16mm. There's threads on TT how to set it.

If the float level is too low you could be running the bowl dry causing a lean condition. You need to remove the carb and set the height to IIRC, 16mm. There's threads on TT how to set it.

I'm thinking 16mm is way off for the 01' carb. Maybe closer to 6.5mm, but then I've never owned a KX 250 so take that FWIW.