Sign in to follow this  

California Any TT Ca Building Contractors getting any work?

If so let me know whats working for ya, because I'm sure not having much luck.👍

Ps: I'm a GC and a pretty good finish carpenter/cabinet maker if you need any help....

Edited by LTK300
  • Like 1

Hang in there LT. Things will open up soon. 👍:thumbsup:

Killer contractor guys. Built one fantastic dream house for me, and a studio as well. Top notch.....

Edited by Bill_P

A good friend and neighbor of mine has been a concrete contractor for 30+ years with a large business at one time.

He has been very slow for the past year or more and he told me the past couple of months "is scaring him" due to even less work.

Now, with the 'Bama health care shoved down our throats, he figures he will be Black Market Concrete even if the industry comes back. He will not be able to provide health insurance for his workers and families.

On the other side of the coin, my son-in-law owns a fairly large heavy equipment rental/lease business that has picked up a lot this past few weeks. Not like it was a few years ago but better than this past year.

I'm in Ready Mix, So Cal. We just called back 15 laid off drivers, forecasts are looking good. Take that with a grain of salt.

Keep the faith, bro.

Hey Larry - I'm heading back stateside tomorrow and I know (at least from what Jon is telling me) that we're somewhat busy. Nothing big right now, just bath remos, water-proofing, and odds-and-ends stuff. Enough to keep our 6-8 guys busy...

I'm also pretty sure that about 98% of what we're doing is for repeat customers, so maybe give some of your old clients a ring and find out if they're finally ready to remodel that bath they were thinking about a couple of years ago....

I'm in Ready Mix, So Cal. We just called back 15 laid off drivers, forecasts are looking good. Take that with a grain of salt.

Keep the faith, bro.

Who do you work for? Standard, Catalina... ???

Who do you work for? Standard, Catalina... ???

Cementos Mexicanos. Started off with Cal West, became City, then Southdown, now the big C. The mom and pop days were way more fun.....

I'm a SMALL contractor in Bishop, and have had just enough to keep afloat . We have been bidding quite a bit lately so it seems to be picking up:thumbsup:

Well glad to here some of you are seeing at least some activity. I have some bids out on a lot of small stuff but so far no one is pull'n the trigger.

Chad, been calling everyone I can think of. Got some" maybe when we get a new President" comments 👍

Nice to here your coming back. Hope to be seeing ya on a ride soon.

PS Hope your keeping your options open down there as well. It may better place to live if it isn't already....

I was checking out Central/South America, specifically Costa Rica, as a possible place to go also. The two things that I enjoy most, riding and shooting, are on the hit list here. Costa Rica requires three years of residency to own guns there. By that time, I will be too old to care.

I would like to hear a report on Chile for riding/firearms ownership/hunting.

I'm a low voltage contractor in So Cal, and I'm at full capacity right now. All Commercial up-grade projects for MDU's, and almost no Residential.

Commercial projects are huge in LA right now.

I'm a low voltage contractor in So Cal, and I'm at full capacity right now. All Commercial up-grade projects for MDU's, and almost no Residential.

Commercial projects are huge in LA right now.

Guess i picked a bad time to be a residential remodel guy, but what can I say, that's what I know.

I have done some restaurant stuff and store fronts and the like.

I couldn't even tell ya what MDU is though.

Guess i picked a bad time to be a residential remodel guy, but what can I say, that's what I know.

I have done some restaurant stuff and store fronts and the like.

I couldn't even tell ya what MDU is though.

Ya there is not much residential work out there right now. MDU = Multi-Dwelling Unit aka apartment 👍

Ya there is not much residential work out there right now. MDU = Multi-Dwelling Unit aka apartment 👍

Thanks......hey I learned something new. Maybe this place isn't a complete waist of time after all.🤣

If any GCs are interested in installing vinyl retrofit windows,entry doors,Hardie/Vinyl siding shoot me a PM with a email address and I'll shoot ya some info.

On another note.FYI are you guys up to date on the EPA and lead paint laws that go into effect April 22nd.You might want to check it out.Not good.

If any GCs are interested in installing vinyl retrofit windows,entry doors,Hardie/Vinyl siding shoot me a PM with a email address and I'll shoot ya some info.

On another note.FYI are you guys up to date on the EPA and lead paint laws that go into effect April 22nd.You might want to check it out.Not good.

Will be in a class all day tomorrow on that very subject 👍:banana:

I know a few guys that are starting to do a little better. I see signs of life in other areas as well. Some of the vacant commercial property in the business park where I'm at is starting to get leased. There are a few businesses that are listing open positions as well. It will take a while to trickle down to the point people are willing to do some home remodeling though.

This lead paint thing sucks for guys like you Larry. Looks like you need to get "certified" ASAP. It's either that or don't work on homes built before 1978.

Here is a newspaper story on it. http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr/06/epa-lead-paint-guidelines-affect-small-contractors/?partner=yahoo_feeds

My neighbour at my shop in La Habra is a GC.

i talked to him a few days ago, he's BARELY hanging on. All his guys he used to use, drywallers electricians etc keep calling for work, some have even said they'll sweep the floors just for something to do. He said bidding activity is up, so that's good.

On the other hand, I nearly bought a truck from anothe GC at the end of last year, and he was swamped with work, mainly down in san Diego county, go figure!

I know a few guys that are starting to do a little better. I see signs of life in other areas as well. Some of the vacant commercial property in the business park where I'm at is starting to get leased. There are a few businesses that are listing open positions as well. It will take a while to trickle down to the point people are willing to do some home remodeling though.

This lead paint thing sucks for guys like you Larry. Looks like you need to get "certified" ASAP. It's either that or don't work on homes built before 1978.

Here is a newspaper story on it. http://www.redding.com/news/2010/apr/06/epa-lead-paint-guidelines-affect-small-contractors/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Shit.

I'm a SMALL contractor in Bishop, and have had just enough to keep afloat . We have been bidding quite a bit lately so it seems to be picking up:thumbsup:

Bishop? Hell, I grew up in Bishop and still have family there. None in the private contracting business, as they're all on the DWP teat. Glad to hear that things have been holding and are now picking up!