Sign in to follow this  

One or Two throttle cables?

Do i need the 2nd throttle cable ( the one that would close the throttle) on my 2002 drz400 ? Seems to me there is enough spring on the carb to shut it down..In use i dont see the second cable doing any work?..Your thoughts?👍

I looked into it and decided to keep mine as is. As I see it there is no real benefit to removing the return cable...but then again that's my opinion and you know what they say about those.

The only throttle cable mod I'd do is the R1 tube if I ran the FCR carb to lengthen the throw back out to normal.

I thought if it as a safety issue- if the throttle sticks, you can always force the thing shut with the return cable.

Of course, it's just as easy to hit the kill switch and pull the clutch in, but...

If I were do do it, I'd buy a single cable throttle unit. Extra holes bother me.

-Dave

I had issues with my throttle closing when only one cable was used, but others have had no issue. Give it a shot, if you don't like it you can get new cables for $40.

I keep mine on in case one breaks I have an easy spare.

Many moons ago I was riding an old CB500 and the pull cable broke. I was able to move the return cable at the carbs to open the throttle. It got me home but was really kinda tricky to use. I had to twist the throttle the wrong way!

GOF1, i did the same thing on a DR650 years ago. the return cable is a good backup 👍

the two cables is a remnent from the days of using throttle butterfly's instead of slides, in them the vacuum would stick the throttle open in the event the throttle cable broke, with new carbies it's not an issue, keeping in mind all current two strokes only use one cable.

Ill be keeping my return cable in place after a little get off shoved some mud and crap in between the bars and throttle tube make it stick about a 1/4 throttle, so I had to force the carb closed for the rest of the ride until i got home.