Sign in to follow this  

Stuck Spokes/Nipples on Stock Rim

I'm taking apart my wheels to get them powdercoated. I got the front wheel apart just fine, but there are about 10 spokes on the rear wheel that wont loosen at the nipple. I have tried many things; WD-40, wrench holding spoke in place, etc. Does anyone have an idea how to get these out?

Thanks!

I forgot to add, the spoke spins with the nipple and bends a little while I twist it. I can't figure out how to get them out. Any idea?

I use PB Blaster along with some heat on the nipple (with a plumber's torch) and some tapping. Be careful with the heat--you don't need much.

A little heat from a propane torch may help... don't get them too hot a few heat/cool cycles may be needed if they don't come off the first time. If this does not work you may need to cut them off and replace them.

Ehh. I dont have a torch. I can try a lighter?

If you will replace them, use a bolt cutter. If you want to reuse them, hold the spoke in a vise w/ soft jaws, then use use liquid wrench on the nipple and let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Use a proper, tight fitting spoke wrench to prevent rounding the nipple over.

If you will replace them, use a bolt cutter. If you want to reuse them, hold the spoke in a vise w/ soft jaws, then use use liquid wrench on the nipple and let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Use a proper, tight fitting spoke wrench to prevent rounding the nipple over.

Thanks a lot!

I will probably end up cutting them.

what kinda bike you got? i recently rebuilt my wheel for my 02 cr250 and had to cut a lot of the spokes out with a bolt cutter. I saved some of the old ones that came out easily 209 and 205mm. Ill send some if you need they need a real good cleaning though shoot me a pm

what kinda bike you got? i recently rebuilt my wheel for my 02 cr250 and had to cut a lot of the spokes out with a bolt cutter. I saved some of the old ones that came out easily 209 and 205mm. Ill send some if you need they need a real good cleaning though shoot me a pm

Thanks a lot, man. I'll consider it. I will keep working on it, but I will most likely have to cut them. I have a 2008 Honda CRF250r. I got the front rim off fine. With only one that was a little stubborn. But now, I have about 10 spokes/nipples that wont come off.

👍