Sign in to follow this  

how much would you pay

OK i have a dropped intake valve, one of the keepers fell off and hit the piston. it put a very small nick in the piston, not enough that i need to replace the piston. but is it a good idea to replace all 4 valves? or can i get away with just replacing the one valve. i had someone look at the seat and i does not need to be cut.

i'm having my friend take the head off. and letting the dealership put the valves in. and then my friend is going to put the head back on. put the correct shims on. and time everything correctly.

so my question is how much should i pay my friend?

My .02...

4 new valves/springs/seals. Always get the seats recut. Have the guides checked out too. Rarely does a valve harmlessly "nick" a piston at over 8,000rpm...

So I'd spend a few bucks and get a new piston/rings too... Much cheaper and easier than what happens if the thing frags on you...

Paying a friend to just pull the head and put it back + shims? Maybe $100.00... That's about a couple hours work going slowly..

2 cases and don't let him start on it until you hear your bike start!

$50 to $100 is pretty fair. The shop over here charges $70 to remove and replace. Any other work is additional. $30 for a re-shim.

Good advice above!