Sign in to follow this  

metal in filter

We popped a piston and broke the crank,,,,,I bought a rebuilt bottom end and replaced the piston and jug.....the only thing left original is the head and cams....I am still getting fine aluminum shavings in the oil filter......the shavings are always on the top left of the filter right where the oil delivery line feed the cams.....i can't figure out where it's coming from.....any ideas????

thanks

Yea, you gotta flush out the frame tube. Also, you have to change the cam chain. As it wears, it will whip sideways and rub aluminum off the side of the case. Pull the flywheel and check and see if the teeth on the crank sprocket are worn. Worn out is sharp and pointed.

Yea, you gotta flush out the frame tube. Also, you have to change the cam chain. As it wears, it will whip sideways and rub aluminum off the side of the case. Pull the flywheel and check and see if the teeth on the crank sprocket are worn. Worn out is sharp and pointed.

what is a frame tube? ive heard people say that on here before. Is there oil in the frame of all dirt bikes or something? i just did a bottom end rebuild too but i didnt drain a frame tube.

soryy i didn't mention this is a 2008 YZ250F.....Can you be more specific about draining the frame tube??? I'm not sure what that is..

thanks

OK, 08 has an aluminum oil tank, so you need to flush that out. Almost all modern Japanese bikes from about 95 or so had oil in the frames. Some of the British bikes had it much earlier, 50s and 60s. The frame tubes act as an external oil cooler and storage location to increase the volume of oil. These motors carry only a small amount of oil in the motor itself. The bulk of it is carried in the tank or frame. It's still only a little over a qt. total which is not much, and it doesn't leave much reserve for problems. That's why you have to change the oil often, it breaks down sooner since there is such a small amount.