Sign in to follow this  

new YZ, what did i get

hello, im new to this site and new to the YZ bikes. 3 days ago i traded in my 08 TTR-230 for a 06YZ250f. it was used and raced, my question is what did i get? there are some after market parts on it. its gottarasgo rims, boyesen quickshot, pro taper bars, odd rear disk brake, o ring chain, 48 tooth rear sprocket and i dont know what the front is. the throttle is stiff to twist, why?

how do i tell if the front fork is stock? it has WER off road suspension on it.

i traded the TTR-230 and 500 cash for the YZ did i get a good deal?

sorry for all the nube questions but im new in the race bike world

06 YZ would be an upgrade from the TTR. 06 was first year aluminum frame. You gotta get the throttle fixed before you ride it though. It must return, snap back with no drag... that's a safety issue. There was a valve issue with the 06. Look at the VIN on the frame and see if there is a punch mark on it. That indicates the previous owner had the recall done and replacement valves. If it was raced, maybe he's already done the valves. Sounds like it's probably go stock gearing, 13X48. Other stuff you mentioned sounds like upgrades. Total value you probably gave about $2200 which could be a little high depending on the condition of both bikes. The TTR was a lot newer and is a great trail bike. First things I'd do is fix the throttle, check the airfilter and clean it, then change the oil and filter. Then I'd get a flywheel puller and get down to the small sprocket on the crank and check that for wear. Sharp pointed teeth means it needs a new crank. Pull the linkages appart and grease all bearings and threads. If all that's good, then I'd ride it.

the throttle doesnt stick its just harder to pull compared to the WR and the TTR.

the YZ is in good conditon and was not beat up but it was rode. you can tell by the wear on the crank case. i was the origional owner of the TTR but traded it because i was bottoming out both the front and back suspension(im 6' and 135). i will look into the recall, would i just bring it back into a yamaha shop? where on the frame should i look for the vin number

ok i looked at the vin and there is no punch mark. i need to bring it in to yamaha. i ordered a threaded stud that holds the pipe to the engine, ill have them put it on while the bike is in the shop. im still wondering if the forks are stock. how can i tell if they are or arnt?

ok i looked at the vin and there is no punch mark. i need to bring it in to yamaha. i ordered a threaded stud that holds the pipe to the engine, ill have them put it on while the bike is in the shop. im still wondering if the forks are stock. how can i tell if they are or arnt?

honestly, i can't tell you how to check to see if the forks are aftermarket. however, i'm betting the forks are stock and that they were re valved and set up for the previous owner.👍

how do i go about changing it for me? it handles good now but i havent gotten much air yet, still getting used to the snap of it lol.

At your weight, stock should be almost perfect to a little stiff. You know who you bought it from, so are you lighter or heavier than he is? Then judge from there. I like mine to sit up a little high in the rear, makes the first part of the rear travel a little softer. I ride offroad, so if you're riding MX, listen to the other guys, they'll get you going.

i have the 06 great bike, plenty of power for me im 6' 145lbs. handles great, get the vin number checked out tho. enjoy it