Sign in to follow this  

WR250F Silencer on a YZ250F

Anybody know if a 2008 WR250F silencer will fit directly on the 2008 YZ250F bike. If so will I have to revise jetting or will it just run a little rich? I need to get this bad boy to quite down for some local trail rides I hope to partake in and the Q4 may not be quite enough.

I'm not sure about a 2008, but I can tell you that on the 07 models, the WR muffler does not fit the YZF stock head pipe. Head pipe size and length is different. I have not tried swapping the whole system, but probably if we swapped the YZF header and the WR muffler, then we'd have a system which fits.

The Q4 is a pretty good product- it performs great and it is pretty quiet. The Q4 makes a stock MX muffler seem like it was only meant to annoy the neighbors. Don't get me wrong, a Q4 is not a WR muffler though. I'm not sure if your club uses the same measurement system as the AMA's procedure. The AMA sound measurement is going to go something like this- Stock WR muffler with the little corkie removed- 89 to 90ish DB = pretty quiet indeed. YZf with a Q4 = 93ish. 3db = twice as loud, so a Q4 would be enough louder than a WR muffler.

Hope this all makes sense and is helpful info.

Your information has been very helpful. I will discontinue searching for a WR250 silencer now. I have been told the sound test we use is a SAE J1287 and according to my source its commonly called "the 20 inch test". I am not sure if this is similiar to the AMA testing. I am thankful for your anticipated db levels. Do you happen to have an idea what the YZ250F will produce in the stock form?

Skidoorules,

Glad the info was helpful. That is the same test we use here (20" away at 5500 rpm). Guys with a Q4 on their YZ250Fs were commonly reporting 93db last summer. I didn't put my Q4 on until later in the summer and so I didn't test with it. I had been running a Q2 which was barely passing the 96 test- it was more like 97, but I'm sure my Hotcams added a db or two.

A stock YZF muffler would probably test about 99 or 100. I have NO idea how the magazines come up with their sound test numbers because their numbers simply are not correct.

• Like 1