Sign in to follow this  

Stripped out oil drain hole anyone?

Ive noticed the threads on my rmz250's case in the oil drain plug have stripped, this was from a previous owner. Is there anyway this can be repaired without buying and replacing the case? ex: retapping the threads?

Depending on the extent of the damage yes as long as it is not cracked around the plug, your can try re-tapping but a better solution would be a time-sert. Similar to a helicoil but more suited for that application

http://www.timesert.com/

A timesert is exactly what you need. easy to install. make sure you are drilling it while it is standing upright so the shavings fall straight down the bit. follow the directions with the timesert to a tee. It will last a lifetime.

+3 for the timesert. I poured a gallon of cheap oil thru the engine to make sure I flushed out any shavings out. This probably isn't necessary but it gave me peace of mind.

I stripped the oil filter cover bolt on my CR450F...took it to the dealership, they did the helicoil, cost me $50...definitely cheaper than a case....call a dealer near you and see what they would charge...worth a try.

Hope this helps.

seems to be a big problem on the rmz same thing happened to my 05 i tapped mine a size biger and got a new drain plug from advanced auto, the only problem with this is for some reason they recessed the drain plug up in the case a little so you have to find a brass washer that will fit in the recess good luck