Sign in to follow this  

My first race

So I entered the 125 B and True Beginner Class for my first motocross race last weekend. I got smoked in the B class and placed middle of the pack in Beginner. It was a real blast and I can't wait to do it again, but my question is:

I ride a 04 ktm 125sx and I only saw maybe 2 or 3 other pumpkins the entire day! Are KTM's not as dominate as the jap bikes? Or are they just not as popular?

kinda depends where you are. i raced this last wknd at competitve edge in socal, and there were quite a few. 4- 250sx 2t's, 3-450's off the top of my head. but no, they aren't as common as the jap's.

the 04 125sx had the strongest motor of any 125 that year. widest power too. get the suspension set up for you and its a great bike.

KTMs are definitely not as popular as the Jap bikes, although that certainly doesn't mean they aren't competitive.

Are you allowed to race B class at your track then go back to beginner?

This particular race was just a spring tune up event. They only had 125 A,B and true beginner. The regular season starts in a few more weeks. But I found it a little unfair how 250 4 strokes were allowed to compete in the 125 class.

This particular race was just a spring tune up event. They only had 125 A,B and true beginner. The regular season starts in a few more weeks. But I found it a little unfair how 250 4 strokes were allowed to compete in the 125 class.

Thats how it is everywhere unless its a 125 2 stroke class.

Thats how it is everywhere unless its a 125 2 stroke class.

I didn't know that, so how do they figure 125 smokers can hang with 250 thumpers?

I didn't know that, so how do they figure 125 smokers can hang with 250 thumpers?

250 thumpers are what replaced the 125s in mx and sx. Same analogy for 250smokers and 450 thumpers.

Not really an answer, but that's how a lot of people look at them and how local classes are organized in most places; 125 smokers - 250 4t, and 250 smokers - 450 4t

KTMs are definitely not as popular as the Jap bikes, although that certainly doesn't mean they aren't competitive.

Are you allowed to race B class at your track then go back to beginner?

thats not entirely true. they are the dominant brand in off road riding and racing. but for motocross, the jap bikes are more popular.

Its ALOT harder you hve to be a better rider to race that two stroke. But thats a good thing.

well according to ama amatuer rules, the 250 2t is allowed to race against the 250f. only in the pro ranks is it still cockeyed.....

and up till the pro ranks its still more rider than bike. ive watched a couple guys on 125's walk away from the expert class on 450's. guy named Larry Laye comes to mind. i watched him put it to a field of 450 experts, at lacr which is a sand track with big elevation changes.

get your suspension dialed in and have fun.

That is very true statement. I have seen 125s win many times in the local jackpot and expert classes. At our local tracks we have many 125s running in just about every class, I even run a rm125 in the over 25 class up with the 450 guys. I just enjoy the feel of the 125, I got a 450 I could run, but its more fun. Your 04 is is good bike, and down here in Oklahoma we got KTM all over the place. Have some fun, and just learn as much as you can. The 125 is a great race bike and very good to start out on. Good luck.

Its all about the rider at your level. I know guys that can smoke 450s on 125s. Ryan V. won the motocross de nations on a 250 thumper. A 125 can be just as fast as a 250 thumper if not faster. Its just easier on the 250 thumper. A 125 will teach you so much about riding a bike that its not even funny. Once you upgrade to a thumper you will think that you are cheating. Stick with your bike. KTM makes great products. Once you run the wheels off it, upgrade to a 250 2 stroke or 250 thumper. Unless you are a big boy like me (200 lbs) then a 450 might suite you better. Learning how to ride properly and how to prepare your bike for track conditions will make you faster than the bike you ride.👍

great starter bike... my 1st bike was an 01kx125, I was going to jump and get a 250f right away, but I am glad I got a 125 it taught me a lot.