Sign in to follow this  

How to make a street legal 150 on the cheap?

ok so i am think im going to try to legalize my 150 here in georgia but i need a little help...

1. i am going to buy a headlight or something froma small car and mount it in the number plate for the headlight, but i think i might just use something that comsumes a little less energy. ideas here?

2. cheapo blinks front and rear

3. tail light i might just add an activation switch onto the peddal not sure onn that one i am open to ideas here.

4. to control it all http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Switch-light-turn-signal-dirt-bike-dual-sport-supermoto_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563b416cefQQitemZ370361330927QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

5. the big one....POWER how am i going to power it all, how are all the kits online doing it?

ok so i am think im going to try to legalize my 150 here in georgia but i need a little help...

1. i am going to buy a headlight or something froma small car and mount it in the number plate for the headlight, but i think i might just use something that comsumes a little less energy. ideas here?

2. cheapo blinks front and rear

3. tail light i might just add an activation switch onto the peddal not sure onn that one i am open to ideas here.

4. to control it all http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Switch-light-turn-signal-dirt-bike-dual-sport-supermoto_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563b416cefQQitemZ370361330927QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

5. the big one....POWER how am i going to power it all, how are all the kits online doing it?

You can get a rewound stator from www.rickystator.com that will put out plenty of power for lights. I have a 150 watt stator and use an Acerbis DHH headlight with 2 - 50 watt bulbs along with a LED tail light/brake light. K&S makes a nice plunger type switch that works great for a brake light. I found the LED light on ebay and made a license plate/light mount out of 1/4" aluminum using a jig saw, some clamps and a rubber mallet.

Here's a pic of the switch and the mount that I made for the rear light.

100_1716.jpg

100_1714.jpg

thats perfect for the brake thanks.

and on the whole stator thing (i relieze thats basically the only option) how does it work? do the just rewind it with more wire then when the send it back i will have a hot wire sticking out of the case to power everything???

thats perfect for the brake thanks.

and on the whole stator thing (i relieze thats basically the only option) how does it work? do the just rewind it with more wire then when the send it back i will have a hot wire sticking out of the case to power everything???

You have 3 options:

1. Rewind it yourself

2. Send your stator in to get rewound

3. Buy a new stator that's already rewound

When I got my stator from rickystator.com I bought the headlight kit as well and it came with everything pre-wired and labeled which made for a real easy install. He puts an extra wire in for the rear lights also. Just give him a call, tell him what you're needing and he can get you set right up. I did have to make the small mount for the brake switch but that took all of 5 minutes.

also airmaxx how did you register the bike? i was hoping i could do it as a 150cc scooter as i have seen those. but i dont know if the require separate insurance/driving permit

also airmaxx how did you register the bike? i was hoping i could do it as a 150cc scooter as i have seen those. but i dont know if the require separate insurance/driving permit

Mine isn't road legal. I put the lights on it and got it registered as an ATV because there are quite a few trails that I can get to from my house. I'm also a member of a hunting club nearby that has dirt roads/trails that connect to a lot of state trails. It is no longer legal to ride ATVs on the road here but the State and Park Police; County Sheriff and DEC have all been "instructed" by the judge to not issue tickets for riding on the roads if the ATV is legal and there are no other violations. I actually got a ticket for riding on the roads a few years ago on an ATV and called the judge, he had me bring the ticket into him and he dismissed it for me. 👍

Just call your local state DMV and ask them what your options are and how to go about doing them. Be sure to write down what they tell you and call a few other state DMV offices and ask them as well. I called 3 different places to ask how to get my bike registered as an ATV. I got 1 office that had no idea and 2 slightly different responses from the other 2 offices. I finally called the main state office and they ended up calling my local DMV and telling them what I needed. Not many people in NY even know they can register a dirt bike as an ATV.

uhhh ok it looks like i have to have a motorcycle license and insurnace ahhh... well i will start with the strator then. still need ideas on wiring if anybody knows

check out the tusk kits at rocky mountian, they are cheap and work great, all LED lights, execpt headlight of course.