Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a 250 oil burner.. KTM or Yamaha?

as the title says, I'm looking for a new(er) bike. I'm about 160 lbs, 5'10 and will be getting another two stroke. I've always wanted a KTM, and have always heard great things about the newer YZ's, so I'm split. can't ride and compare in my area. I don't race, but I ride aggressively - trails are what you ride on to get to the monster step-up. I stopped riding when I was 18, after breaking my back in three places. I'm 25 now, a bit wiser, and praying that I still have a couple years left in my body to ride hard...ish.👍

I've got my old bike, a '92 kx125 that has been tricked out to the nuts... so I assume its about equivalent to a new 80:lol:

I'm looking for anyone who can give me some personal experience with either bike, or even better, both. I'm not looking for "this bike is the BEST!" bull, just some input and hopefully, comparisons so I can start looking for the bike that will suit me best. I'll be looking for a '02+ bike to dump some cash into, or a newer/new model. budget is about 8 grand, and the bike needs to have good cornering manners, excellent suspension for jumps and drops, and the ability to turn gas and oil into power at a rate that makes greenpeace write letters if I am to come anywhere close to 8 g's.

It depends on the type of riding u do as to what bike will fit u better.

So what type of riding do u do mostly?

primarily freeriding. I go to tracks about 20% of the time and really enjoy my time there. beyond that, I love a good nasty hill or jump. I suppose I'm looking for a bike that could be raced, mainly for the things I am looking for.... suspension, connection with the ground, and the ability to go fast whether its up a hill, the face of a jump, or around a corner. I guess I don't really know how else to clarify how I plan to ride the bike.. is there anything else I can give you that would make this easier?

For that type of riding I would reccomend the YZ. It is a motocross bike which will amke it better at the track. Also IMO the yz has better suspension than the KTM.

Either bike is good tho.

Just buy a used 06+ YZ250 for around $3,000 and save the $5,000 for gas oil and tires!

Edited by shrubitup

Just buy a used 07+ YZ250 for around $3,000 and save the $5,000 for gas oil and tires!

Yea i forgot to mention this. Another good reason to get the yz is it is less expensive than the KTM

Kosts

Too

Much

-or-

Keeps

Takin

Money

👍

lol... I used to buy handlebars and clutch/brake perches in three's...moving on- I've been reading up what I can on the (mis)information highway and I was leaning towards the YZ out of respect for what I hear about the suspension and also the cost factor.. maybe stuffing some cash away for the fubar's would be wise...

just because your old bike is "old" doesnt mean its that down on power.

a 125 will have more power than a modern 85, youll find 2 strokes have barely changed apart from things like engine dimension/designs looks and different plastics.

i recommend you getting a 2000+ yz 250

as i said 2 stroke didn't changed too much especially yz in the 2000 era apart from suspension.

also (i know you said 02+) 2000/2001 Cr 250's were absolutely awesome with a great usable engine and good frame etc, they also have excellent reputations

but if you can def go 07 plus for the best suspension

i would stay away from 02/03 CR 250's as from what I've heard the engine doesn't have a usable power band without a few mods

i really liked the 2001 CR 250 when i rode it, it had a great engine and the suspension and frame felt nice and it handled really well.

i know the 2003 ktm 250 had a very powerful engine pumping out 50 hp but i dont know anything about the suspension etc