Sign in to follow this  

03 rm 125 Clutch problem

I'm trying to figure the problem with the clutch. I can only start the bike in Neutral, once started I shift into 1st gear, minor movement forward and I can roll my bike back and forth with little effort just like it was in neutral. The bike pulls out as I release the clutch near the top of releasing the clutch, bike pulls pretty good, when I come to a stop in 1st gear, even with the clutch pulled in it stalls. As I stated I have to start the bike in Neutral, once in first gear with the clutch pulled in , I stop the motor with the kill switch. I try to start it in gear and it won't let me , when I kick start it the bike tries to move forward and I can't rock the bike back and forth, it takes quite a bit of effort to roll the bike. I've taken the clutch plates out , and they are not burned, little discoloring, the basket has minor wear on it , you can see where the plates sit but no major groves . I've been looking around to try and see how much groving in the basket is too much but can't find the answer. I've talked to some people with other dirt bikes and some can start it in 1st others can't. The basket is a Hinson. The perch and lever are not oem, its an aftermarket cheapo(i'm thinking of replacing this as maybe the cable isn't pulling the clutch enough). I've tried 3 types of oil in the tranny, 80w, 10w40, and ATF, all with the same results.

Help!!!!!!!!!👍

sound like the clutch cable is either not adjusted right or you need a new cable.

Could also be weak springs. Did you check to see if they were in spec?

Well any notching is bad but you can get away with some. It takes a little finessing with the operation of the clutch. I had an oem and it was notched to hell. I filed it down and it helped, by the way I was having these exact same issues. It still had this issue even after I filed it down just not as bad. I also found that what helped was revving it a little after pulling in the clutch when stopping. It seems that the clutches just needed that little extra force to free up and disengage. It was really bad when cold but not so much once warmed up. This is a product of wet clutches you will just have to get used to if you use thicker oil. I replaced my oem with Hinson basket and tusk clutch kit w/heavy duty springs this weekend so I hope it fix all my issues. It seems to. I ran in up and down the street breaking in my new top end and it was like butter. You can try to adjust the clutch handle to get more out of though. That is were I would start. Good luck!!