Sign in to follow this  

KX60 Top End and Misc

I recently purchased a mid 90's KX60 for my son. I found a disassembled bike which had it's cylinder and clutch side cover off. Previous owner was going to replace the top end and clutch but never finished. All the major parts are there, plus clutch plates and springs, minus the kick starter and a few nuts and bolts miss as far as I can tell. I normally avoid bikes like this but my son's last bike got stolen (my fault) so I'm trying to replace it on the cheap.

Before dropping too much money on it I'd like to verify that the top end and clutch replacement is necessary and that the remainder is of the bike is good. I know these need replacing often, but I don't want to replace them only to find out it also needs X, Y and Z replaced.

Is it possible to check the top end by measuring the ring gap, piston OD and cylinder ID? Or would I be better off assembling it and checking the compression?

Does anyone has a pdf of a manual or link to one?

Has anyone bought one of those model specific boxes of bolts off eBay? Buying individually will be much more expensive.

Thanks

I would say compression test would be best. I have the same bike for my boy and he loves it. Recently his bike had trouble starting and I thought it was low on compression (120), but I soon realized it was the carb float was stuck. Where in Mi. are you located?

I have a KX65 manual which is very close to the KX60 engine wise. Everything else is different, but the engine is darn near identical.

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Do not, I repeat do not ride it. While demonstrating for my daughter this past weekend, I wheel standed (is that a word?) the bike and dove tailed the rear fender, again. You'd think I would know better.

Reassemble the bike and do a compression test, you won't need to put fluids in it, kick-starter is helpful, but you can just put it in a high gear and push it to get the engine to spin.

For good measure, make sure you replace the pertinent gaskets before doing a compression test.

Good luck.