Sign in to follow this  

yz 250 gearing?

what gearing are u guys running for mx 06 onwards, i find the stock 14/50 pretty decent, but also had a few blokes tell me they went with 13/48 or 14/51, suggestions???

I run 14/48 for mx, but my cylinder ports are raised, and head milled so my motor is all low/mid and was just to much hit with stock gearing

oh yer that makes sence, i would like longer gears, but then again i dont wanna loose my bottom end..... ive just got a pipe and jetting on mine, i guess ill leave it stock for now....

Yeah depending on the style of tracks you are riding, but everything I am riding, 14/51 is spot on. All outdoor tracks w/ technical sections throughout track. Even our local, national level sand track I found this gearing perfect, pulling hard out of tight deep ruts and corners.

👍

I run 14/49. 2002 though with 265cc piston. I had the rear up to 51 teeth which was great for woods, but mx gets the 49 tooth rear.

Tamed the hit and gained low end traction by stepping down to 49. 51 lets me chug through the woods and explosive bottom end hit when I need it in the tight stuff.

I run 14/52. Our local track is fairly tight and I've found the bike just seems happier with the 14/52 vs the stock 14/50.