Sign in to follow this  

clutch slipping majorly

my 06 125 clutch is slipping like crazy I just put new springs and plates and a new cable and adjusted the cable but my clutch is slipping like you wouldn't believe just as bad as last season before i put these ones in what could it be? the basket had no notches at all so i have no idea what to look for:bonk:

Lol, I'm guessing that you put the plates in the wrong order.

It goes

Outer basket

Inner hub

Friction Plate

Steel Plate

You probable have it

Outer basket

Inner basket

Steel Plate

Friction plate

Take it apart and see if this is the case, going to bet bigtime money on it. Also a notched basket/hub makes for a grabby clutch, not a slipping one.

The spring bolts do not need to be torqued, snugged up is just fine. Some people advise against torquing them as the lowly 7ft pounds that is required (I think it's 7) seems to snap peoples bolts in half when they're oily.

if you have over heated the clutch at any stage you my have warped the steel plates. they warp into a dish shape just like a brake disc when a calliper sticks, just put em on a flat surface to check them. if theyre not totally flat the clutch will slip, at least they dont cost too much. im assuming you have just bought the friction plates, sorry if im rong.

You also need to look at the pressure plate and inner hub they wear out and need to be replaced i go through one of each every year( about every 40hrs) they are cheap from yamaha worth a look. the machined face should not have a grovve at all. if you want to ride while you wait for parts put a extra steel plate in the middle of the stack(two steels together) and adjust you cable to proper slack. I have done this before and rode bike like that for over 20hrs(lever pull will get really hard to pull but clutch should stop slipping/ also a good way to see if the problem is from lose of spring pressure due to worn hub/pressure plate).

my clutch is put together perfect ive taken it apart 3 times the basket and everything seems completely fine there is no play anywhere the plates all fit snug etc I just cant figure it out and the steel plates are straight set them on glass table before and yes I did soak in oil before:bonk:

Your sure that they are in the right order?

There is slack on the cable?

Since you have to take it out again and look, post up some pictures of all the parts. Take a picture of the assembly as soon as you remove the cover.

is the pushrod in the centre over tightened? depending on the type of lift mechanism some can still have slack at the cable but the pushrod may not allow the plates to seat fully. is there a locknut at the centre of the clutch? if so loosen it and turn it in until it tightens slightly then turn it back one turn and tighten the locknut. hope its the answer

with some clutches the lift mechanism can be over tight yet the cable will be slack .adjustment should be on the pushrod or the lifter itself. there has to be a slight loosness for the plates to seat fully. good luck...

Your sure that they are in the right order?

There is slack on the cable?

Since you have to take it out again and look, post up some pictures of all the parts. Take a picture of the assembly as soon as you remove the cover.

100 percent sure I have the manual and I have done it before and i have a bunch of friends who ride its 100% correct the cable has slack the only thing I can think is the cable has slack but the lifting part where the cable connects too is pulled up a bit or something so ill have to check that