Sign in to follow this  

KX 100 Jetting

I have just bought a 1997 KX 100 which has a flat sided YZ 85 Carb fitted to it.

The previous owner says it seems to run well enough with the standard jetting. Should I change it or should it be fine?

Also, is it better to have the YZ 85 Carb on then the KX100 Carb as he gave the the KX 100 Carb as a spare? What is the advantage of the YZ Carb?

Thanks

it depends, if its stock jetting, its most likely rich. How does it run while you are riding it, any spooge, a little? what tpe of riding do you do? What kind of condition your riding in, the weather, elevation etc. And aftermarket pipes and chambers all come into play.

it depends, if its stock jetting, its most likely rich. How does it run while you are riding it, any spooge, a little? what tpe of riding do you do? What kind of condition your riding in, the weather, elevation etc. And aftermarket pipes and chambers all come into play.

It seems to run fine when I am running it. It is really hard to start though and it stalls really easy, I don't know if this is anything to do with the jetting though?

I do riding just around a few fields with jumps in them not anything like racing.

The weather is normally damp but today is a lovely day. It's about 14 degrees.

Update

I have been trying all day to get it to start. I still can't start it.

I tried to clean out the carb but I couldn't as one of the screws on the basin on the YZ 85 Carb (which it came fitted with) has been really tightened and I can't get it undone. The screw is starting to round off so me or my dad can't get any grip on it never mind enough force.

I would try the standard carb but he used the standard float and jets in the YZ Carb which I can't obviously get at because of the screw.

The spark plug still has a spark and when I take it out it has a little bit of fuel/oil on the end which goes into the bike.

I actually started it once but because I had adjusted the idle screw too high it was revving really high so I quickly turned it off. I couldn't get it too start again.

Any ideas what the problem is as I am getting quite frustrated with my first time with a 2 Stroke?!